Two Layers Of Fondant. Anyone Tried It?

Decorating By SSGirly Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 12:47am by tesso

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 10

While watching ace of cakes a while ago, i saw a cake where there were two layers of fondant in contrasting colors, where the decoration was the top layer cut away in a flower pattern to reveal the color underneath. has anyone tried it? just wondering if anyone has tips.

9 replies
careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 10

I am wondering the same!!!
My first thought was too roll out each color, use cutters on one for the design, lightly dampen with water, and put the second rolled fondant on top. Then cover cake with the "glued" together fondant piece. I don't know, I am probably WAY off, but that was the only way i could see it working.
ANYONE??

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 10

I have been curious about this, too. Would you put crisco or powdered sugar in between the layers, or is sticking not usually an issue when cutting away the top layer?

BRATTYR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BRATTYR Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 10

I would like to know too! i have a cake that i bride wants that looks like it is done this way.
looks like two layers and when the second one is on you cut a the design out reveling the colour underneath?

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 10

Brattyr is correct. You would put two layers on and then cut the design. You could put the second layer on after you cut the design, but the issue with that would be distorting the design. Once you put fondant on, you have to smooth and pull and stretch, which will mess up the design that you have chosen.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 10

Wouldn't you just use an x-acto knife? It seems like that would be the best way to control how deep you're cutting.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 10

You can use an exacto knife or use cutters...

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 10

thanks, thats what i thought, but i wanted to just check first. it seems like one of those techniques that looks like a million bucks but is super easy to do... always nice. icon_smile.gif

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 12:39am
post #9 of 10

Ok, would you use the exacto/cutters before the fondant is hard or after? I would think the harder the fondant, the more likely you would get a nice cut, and no pulling. Also, do you "glue" the fondant's together? If so, wouldn't it be difficult to pull away the cut portion of the design? (make sense?)

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 12:47am
post #10 of 10

i used two layers, doing the burst through effect for my niece's cake. It was really easy to do. I used a scapel to cut my fondant.

I put my first layer of fondant on the cake, let it dry maybe 20 mins.

I did not want my fondants to stick to each other where I needed to cut, so I misted a few areas where I would not be cutting with everclear. Then placed my second fondant over first layer, It only adhered where I needed it to.

then I cut my pattern out. It is easiest to make a template of anything that you want to cut out. You can score the fondant, then gently slice into it and you can pull up gently no the side of the cut and make sure you are not cutting the fondant below.

I was surprised at how simple it was. It ws also really fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%