Can someone tell me about how much would it cost me to start up a small cake business?
Just roughly how much and appreciate your time.
This is really going to depend on a few things
1) where you're located and local cost?
2) what are the health/fire regulations for your area?
3) can you bake in your home? or does it have to be a seperate kitchen/location?
4) What type of things will you be cooking? if you need multiple ovens, stoves, etc....
5) are you going to be a storefront that will have things available for walk-ins? then you'll need the cases too, andmost likely additional things will be required from the health and fire dept. (extra bathrooms, so much square footage per person)
6) if you're going to have stuff prepared for walk-ins then you'll most likely have employees... what is the hourly wage in your area for that type of postiion?
Storefront or home-based business?
Homestyle, custom, traditional, or all?
Wedding cakes, occasion cakes, or both?
Any of us could blurt out a dollar amount for a rough estimate, but it wouldn't be accurate for YOUR business... you are the only one that knows what you'd like to accomplish, what you are capable of, what your costs are based on what volume you have and which suppliers are available to you, what your market is like, who your tarket customers are, what percentage of the market you're going after and what is feasible, what your profit will be based on expenses and what is reasonable and customary to charge in your area or IF a profit can be made before too long so that you won't need to dip into additional funds to keep your initial investment going. There are so many more questions to ask yourself, and you need those answers before considering opening any small business.
You'll figure out all of the answers when you complete a detailed business plan. You can find several example plans online that are helpful in getting you started in the right direction. It's a great exercise for you to complete, it takes months of research, but you won't regret what you learn from it. Best of luck!
anywhere between $2,500 to $250,000.
The correct answer is "it depends". On where you are, what equipment you need, comm'l space or not, build out expenses, etc. etc. etc.
Okay... I'll say $1,500 - $400,000., roughly!