Home Made Frosting

Baking By ashbax Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 6:43pm by aswartzw

ashbax Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 6

Somebody please help! I have been trying and majorly failing at making home made frosting. I tried buttercream first and it turned into a liquid by the time i was done with it. I decided creamcheese frosting would be easier and it started out great but by the time i got all of my powdered sugar mixed in a little at a time it was a liquid mess as well.
I only have a handheld mixer to work with or just my own two hands. i cannot afford one of the nice kitchen aid mixers that have the slow speed and big paddles and whisks that i woud love to have....is it possible to make either of these frostings by hand or with an electric hand held mixer??? Or does anybody have a different frosting recipe that is maybe easier than either of the two above?

5 replies
sechrestloans Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 6

did you use powdered sugar that was previously open? I find that sometimes if I dont sift already open sugar, it will not come fluffy. That is the only thing I can think of icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 6

What recipes did you use? It could be a flaw in the recipes. I won't say mixing buttercream by hand can't be done, but I wouldn't try it myself.

You can use a hand held mixer for it, you just have to be careful how much you ask the mixer to do. Most hand helds can't handle making large batches of thick icing.

cakesbymindysue Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 6

What recipe are you using? That will help people figure out what's going wrong. Adding powdered sugar should make it thicker, not thinner.

aswartzw Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 6

What BC recipe are you using? Did you use the IMBC or SMBC? If you used either of those, I don't recommend it for the first time you're making frosting, especially with a hand mixer.

Cream cheese buttercream you don't need to mix long and if it's a confectioner's sugar based BC you just keep adding confectioner's sugar until it's the right consistency. If it's super humid where you are, it takes more sugar.

Also did you use confectioner's sugar or regular sugar. That will make a huge difference.

aswartzw Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 6

Indydebi's BC recipe is great. Search the recipe section here for it.

Follow her directions precisely and you will be okay. As long as it's a confectioner's based BC you really can't mess it up. Either add more liquid if it's too stiff or add more sugar to thicken it up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%