How Do I Get My Chocolate Ganache To Whip Up Nice & Thic

Baking By SugarMama5 Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 11:37pm by KayMc

SugarMama5 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 21

I'm pulling my hair out. I am trying to make chocolate ganache & when I go to whip it up, it's not getting very thick. It's still runny. What am I doing wrong?

20 replies
Sassy74 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 21

What is the recipe you used? Have you tried putting it in the fridge for a little while so it can firm up? Did you let it sit overnight?

SugarMama5 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 1:37am
post #3 of 21

I tried the one in the \\wilton Idea book. It's 1 cup heavy cream & 14 ounces of chocolate. (for the whipped ganache) I did let it sit in the fridge & it did firm up some more, but when I whipped it again, it didn't stay thick. I checked my cream and it's 33%, I think it may not be heavy enough of a cream??? I saw online (after googling) that heavy is more like 36% TO 40% or more. I don't think I have ever seen cream heavier than 33%. I\\m going to hunt around. Would there be that big of a difference between 33% & 36%?

I also saw someone say something about a heavy cream substitute & it was homo milk with melted butter added to it. I have no idea how well that would work though.

I've tried this recipe a couple times & it's not working. I want to make this silly ganache... I just wish it would work!

sumerae Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 1:47am
post #4 of 21

Here is a good blog:

http://savorysweetlife.com/2009/08/simply-glorious-chocolate-ganache-recipe-3-ways/

I am hoping to try this recipe within the next week.....I love the pics of her ganache...YUM!

SugarMama5 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:21am
post #5 of 21

That does look good. Just need to find the heavy cream now!

I looked more into the heavy cream substitute and found out that it won't whip.

I'll go to the store tomorrow & see if I can find some heavy cream... and then try again. If it doesn't work, I may just give up.

sumerae Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:24am
post #6 of 21

you mean you aren't sure where in the store it is?? our store, it's right near the whipping cream, near the milk/sour cream frig section.

SugarMama5 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:54am
post #7 of 21

No, I know where it is in the store, I just need to find a store that sells heavy cream. It seems like they all have 33%, but I don't think I've seen anything heavier than 33%...

Sweetcakes23 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 3:15am
post #8 of 21

Here is a recipe I have used for a whipped ganache (or whipped chocolate cream) and I use it for fillings. It's really good, and NEVER fails for me!
2 cups heavy whipping cream (but I have used reg. whipping cream before)
1/3 cup milk
3 Tbl. granulated sugar
5 oz. semisweet OR bittersweet chcolate, chopped finely
*Bring cream, milk and sugar to a gentle boil. remove from heat and stir in chocolate. Stir until chocolate is dissolved. Cool and refrigerate AT LEAST 12 hours before using. (Mixture will keep at point for 5 days.)
Whip as you would whipping cream.

I hope this helps! Don't give up, it's a great recipe![/b]

Karen421 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 3:21am
post #9 of 21

How long are you waiting before you try to whip it? I will make it one day- sit it on the counter over night, and whip it the next day. For chocolate I use a 2-1 ratio. You do have to be careful not to whip it to much or it will break. HTH

SugarMama5 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:44am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

How long are you waiting before you try to whip it? I will make it one day- sit it on the counter over night, and whip it the next day. For chocolate I use a 2-1 ratio. You do have to be careful not to whip it to much or it will break. HTH




I have tried after a couple hours. Is that too soon? Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong??? I'll try again and leave it overnight. You said to do a 2-1 ratio... I just want to verify, you mean 2 cups whipping cream to 1 cup chocolate? Correct?

SugarMama5 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:47am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcakes23

Here is a recipe I have used for a whipped ganache (or whipped chocolate cream) and I use it for fillings. It's really good, and NEVER fails for me!
2 cups heavy whipping cream (but I have used reg. whipping cream before)
1/3 cup milk
3 Tbl. granulated sugar
5 oz. semisweet OR bittersweet chcolate, chopped finely
*Bring cream, milk and sugar to a gentle boil. remove from heat and stir in chocolate. Stir until chocolate is dissolved. Cool and refrigerate AT LEAST 12 hours before using. (Mixture will keep at point for 5 days.)
Whip as you would whipping cream.

I hope this helps! Don't give up, it's a great recipe![/b]




Will this recipe whip up like buttercream? I think maybe I was trying to whip it up too soon, maybe that's what my problem was. Both times I tried it, it was only after it sat for a couple hours.

I'll give it a try. Thanks for sending me your recipe!

Karen421 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:07am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMama5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

How long are you waiting before you try to whip it? I will make it one day- sit it on the counter over night, and whip it the next day. For chocolate I use a 2-1 ratio. You do have to be careful not to whip it to much or it will break. HTH



I have tried after a couple hours. Is that too soon? Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong??? I'll try again and leave it overnight. You said to do a 2-1 ratio... I just want to verify, you mean 2 cups whipping cream to 1 cup chocolate? Correct?




2 cups chocolate to 1 cup heavy whipping cream. That could be the problem! thumbs_up.gif

I actually looked up my recipe since I have been doing it from memory:
9 ounces chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon dark rum

Milk chocolate is very sweet
semi- sweet chocolate is medium sweet
bittersweet would be the least sweet

The chocolate I use depends on who I am making it for. My grand-kids want milk chocolate. My BBF likes bittersweet. I like semi-sweet with a handful of bittersweet, and I use raspberry liqueur and not rum

Good Luck!!! thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:17am
post #13 of 21

Here are a couple of sites that were helpful to me when I first started making ganache. There are different techniques on each site.

http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/

http://allrecipes.com//HowTo/chocolate-ganache/Detail.aspx

Pour ganache - which is thinner:

http://daisylanecakes.blogspot.com/search/label/ganache

LindaF144a Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:27am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMama5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

How long are you waiting before you try to whip it? I will make it one day- sit it on the counter over night, and whip it the next day. For chocolate I use a 2-1 ratio. You do have to be careful not to whip it to much or it will break. HTH



I have tried after a couple hours. Is that too soon? Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong??? I'll try again and leave it overnight. You said to do a 2-1 ratio... I just want to verify, you mean 2 cups whipping cream to 1 cup chocolate? Correct?




No one answered this:

Yes, it's too soon. I usually wait overnight.

The longer you wait, the thicker it will come and then it will whip up. I don't know about where you live, but we are having a heat wave. So unless you have a house with AC, it could take a little longer too. You can put it in the fridge to thicken up also.

SugarMama5 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:40am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Here are a couple of sites that were helpful to me when I first started making ganache. There are different techniques on each site.
http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/
http://allrecipes.com//HowTo/chocolate-ganache/Detail.aspx
Pour ganache - which is thinner:
http://daisylanecakes.blogspot.com/search/label/ganache




I checked out the sites & they are good. One site said that you should leave it overnight at room temperature. I don't know if I would want to leave something with cream on the counter all night. Wouldn't we get sick if we ate it? Anyone know?

I also have been making it with milk chocolate (my favorite!) and one of those sites said if using milk choc to use a 3 to 1 ratio. That could be my problem too. Honestly, how could such a simple recipte be so hard for me to make?!! lol... I may get it eventually...

LindaF144a Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:36am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMama5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Here are a couple of sites that were helpful to me when I first started making ganache. There are different techniques on each site.
http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/
http://allrecipes.com//HowTo/chocolate-ganache/Detail.aspx
Pour ganache - which is thinner:
http://daisylanecakes.blogspot.com/search/label/ganache



I checked out the sites & they are good. One site said that you should leave it overnight at room temperature. I don't know if I would want to leave something with cream on the counter all night. Wouldn't we get sick if we ate it? Anyone know?

I also have been making it with milk chocolate (my favorite!) and one of those sites said if using milk choc to use a 3 to 1 ratio. That could be my problem too. Honestly, how could such a simple recipte be so hard for me to make?!! lol... I may get it eventually...




No you won't get sick. Ganache is the same thing that truffles are made out of, as well as a lot of other things I can't think of right now.

If you get the time search for Ganache here on CC. You will find a wealth of information, including the reason why ganache can be left out. I don't remember the exact science, but it is okay.

Planet Cake covers all their cakes with ganache and then fondant and then ships them around the world. I'm pretty sure if ganache needed to be refrigerated all the time we would have heard about it by now.

Karen421 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:03pm
post #17 of 21

Linda is absolutely correct - you won't get sick, but if you are worried, you can put it in the fridge, with a paper towel over it. (Don't seal it or you will get condensation) I use 2 - 1 with milk chocolate also. I tried the 3 -1 and it became to hard to whip, and spread nicely. Don't be afraid of ganache, I have found that if it gets to hard, stick it in the microwave for a couple of seconds, it it is to soft, I add a little more chocolate. It seems everyone in my circle only wants ganache lately, I have used more chocolate than powdered sugar! - I am almost tired of chocolate! (Is that possible?!) icon_lol.gif Mamawrobin has a recipe to put ganache over buttercream, it sounds so good, but I haven't tried it yet.

SugarMama5 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #18 of 21

So good to know that I could keep it out on the counter. I had it in the fridge initially & then took it out after reading the posts.

I left it for about 15 hours & whipped it up & it worked! SO happy! 3rd time's a charm! icon_biggrin.gif It is sooo good too. I made it with Bernard Callebaut chocolate.... it's possibly the yummiest thing ever! I need to feed to everyone else or I'm going to eat it all... I feel my hips getting bigger just thinking about it! lol

THANKS to everyone's input! My husband thanks you too... now he doesn't have to listen to my complaining! lol

SugarMama5 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:08pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Linda is absolutely correct - you won't get sick, but if you are worried, you can put it in the fridge, with a paper towel over it. (Don't seal it or you will get condensation) I use 2 - 1 with milk chocolate also. I tried the 3 -1 and it became to hard to whip, and spread nicely. Don't be afraid of ganache, I have found that if it gets to hard, stick it in the microwave for a couple of seconds, it it is to soft, I add a little more chocolate. It seems everyone in my circle only wants ganache lately, I have used more chocolate than powdered sugar! - I am almost tired of chocolate! (Is that possible?!) icon_lol.gif Mamawrobin has a recipe to put ganache over buttercream, it sounds so good, but I haven't tried it yet.




If you have to add chocolate too it, do you just melt it, let it cool and then add it? Or can you just melt it and then add it?

Karen421 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 9:01pm
post #20 of 21

When I have added it, it was already soft, so I just stuck it in the microwave for about 10 sec, then add the chocolate to it. Stirred it in until it was all melted and just walked away for awhile. Worked great!

KayMc Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:37pm
post #21 of 21

My last batch was runny, so I put it in the fridge for an hour. Whipped up great then! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%