Muahahaha! Bake-Off At Work...what Should I Do?

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 2:22pm by Herekittykitty

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 28

Cakes are obviously something people at work know me for, but this contest doesn't seem to have rules other than entrants will be judged on taste and presentation.

Any suggestions on what I should do? The organization I work for has over 500 employees, and only about 60 of them have probably tasted my baked goods.

But I want to WIN! I'm such a competitive person (on a small scale) and I want to WOW everyone with what I do.

I've asked if they have additional rules or guidelines, but was told, "There isn't anything additional posted. It's a friendly competition for desserts, which will be judged by a panel on a combination of taste and presentation."

Muahaahahahaahahahahahahahaha!!! icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

27 replies
kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 28

I don't understand all the muhahahaing. Are you planning to poison them or something?

emrldsky Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmisue2009

I don't understand all the muhahahaing. Are you planning to poison them or something?

Um, no. It's my way of expressing that I am a hugely competitive person and this is a big opportunity for me to get a bit involved.

Why in the world would I poison someone? icon_rolleyes.gif

shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 28

OOH! How exciting! *tenting fingers* I think you and I have the same competitive vibe when it comes to these things.

How many people are you going to feed? Can you just do a dummy cake with crazy design then serve up tiny square "tasters" from a sheet cake of your fave/awesome recipe list?

emrldsky Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoli

OOH! How exciting! *tenting fingers* I think you and I have the same competitive vibe when it comes to these things.

How many people are you going to feed? Can you just do a dummy cake with crazy design then serve up tiny square "tasters" from a sheet cake of your fave/awesome recipe list?

I don't know the number yet. I've got an inquiry out about it (is it sad that I had to ask about the quantity).

I think they expect the item that is presented to be the item they eat. There are no rules, of course, but I'm anticipating them not liking that idea.

I thought an elegant cupcake might work or decorated cookies. I was tempted to put a nice sketch together of some mini cakes, but I'd have to use fondant and around here...well, let's just say I might lose because some people don't like fondant, no matter how pretty it would be.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 28

Go get 'em. No holds barred! icon_twisted.gif

Go with your strong suit and dress it to the 9's.

Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 28

it's a general dessert competition? mmmm so many ways to go with that .... i bet you'll already have a leg up just on presentation. what are some crowd pleasers? chocolate ... PB ... cream cheese ...

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 28

No No , go stacked cake and really WOW them!! What do you do for a living, you could do something themed around your work?

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm
post #9 of 28

Do you do carved cakes? something in a unique shape that they can eat would surely wow them, especially if the object is related to the company.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 28

Go show em whatcha got! (and then make sure to link the picture in this thread so we can see what you came up with) icon_smile.gif

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 28

Does your company have a logo? Maybe you can do a carved cake in the shape of the company logo - that would be impressive!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:06pm
post #12 of 28

We just had one at my office, it was a 'summer theme'. So I did smore's on a stick. Put a Stick in a Marshmallow, dip in chocolate, roll in graham cracker crums and WAH-LAH! Winner. Super easy, cheap and mighty delicous. Not to mention simple to eat.

It might not be right for you competition if everything has to be homemade, but a unique and popular item might be cake balls...

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:15pm
post #13 of 28

A stacked cake would definitely have a WOW factor! And they didn't say how many on the "panel" so that just means you have oodles of cake samples for your large company to try! If you are the winner, your co-workers will be VERY interested in trying your cake!

What about 3 tiers and 3 different flavors/fillings that would appeal to the masses, yet cover all tastebud aspects? ( example: fruit/ganache/buttercream/mocha/PB/chocolate/red velvet, etc.)

I would think that would just "up" the odds that you could win if you had 3 times the good taste in one fabulously presented dessert!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:23pm
post #14 of 28

I love the muahahahaha! i knew excactly what you ment icon_biggrin.gif Good luck with the comp icon_smile.gif X

emrldsky Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

Go get 'em. No holds barred! icon_twisted.gif

Go with your strong suit and dress it to the 9's.

Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm still trying to figure out what my strong suit is, lol. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

it's a general dessert competition? mmmm so many ways to go with that .... i bet you'll already have a leg up just on presentation. what are some crowd pleasers? chocolate ... PB ... cream cheese ...

That's what's kind of bothering me, that it's any dessert against any dessert. What if the whole panel is in the mood for something I didn't make, but someone else did? *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklekat6

No No , go stacked cake and really WOW them!! What do you do for a living, you could do something themed around your work?

I thought about a stacked cake, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much money in materials. If there were a cash prize, SURE, but I bet we just get a print-it-yourself certificate. Sure, I'd be the Grand Prize winner, but to spend that kind of money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Do you do carved cakes? something in a unique shape that they can eat would surely wow them, especially if the object is related to the company.

I work in an IT area of a university...not much to go with there. lol And I've only done one 3d carved cake, and while I learned many lessons from it, I'm not sure it's something I want to take on for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

Go show em whatcha got! (and then make sure to link the picture in this thread so we can see what you came up with) icon_smile.gif

But of course!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralna

Does your company have a logo? Maybe you can do a carved cake in the shape of the company logo - that would be impressive!

I love our logo, but I'm not sure it'll lend itself to a 3d shape, as it has a transparent BG and thin writing. Kind of hard to explain and to keep things as anonymous as possible, I'd rather not post the actual logo here, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

We just had one at my office, it was a 'summer theme'. So I did smore's on a stick. Put a Stick in a Marshmallow, dip in chocolate, roll in graham cracker crums and WAH-LAH! Winner. Super easy, cheap and mighty delicous. Not to mention simple to eat.

It might not be right for you competition if everything has to be homemade, but a unique and popular item might be cake balls...

I'm not sure as there aren't rules, lol. I think I'd like to go with something that would be difficult for most of my colleagues to do. I'm just too competitive like that, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

A stacked cake would definitely have a WOW factor! And they didn't say how many on the "panel" so that just means you have oodles of cake samples for your large company to try! If you are the winner, your co-workers will be VERY interested in trying your cake!

What about 3 tiers and 3 different flavors/fillings that would appeal to the masses, yet cover all tastebud aspects? ( example: fruit/ganache/buttercream/mocha/PB/chocolate/red velvet, etc.)

I would think that would just "up" the odds that you could win if you had 3 times the good taste in one fabulously presented dessert!

Oh, I agree and I think there is only one dessert available to the rest of the organization and that's cookies. BORING! I'm still not sure about the costs associated with a cake that large. Like I said above, if there was going to be a nice cash prize, sure, but it doesn't seem like there will be. Just bragging rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

I love the muahahahaha! i knew excactly what you ment icon_biggrin.gif Good luck with the comp icon_smile.gif X

Thanks!!!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:42pm
post #16 of 28

Stick with what you do best. As you mentioned, a fondant covered cake might work against you. However, fondant covered cookies don't seem to have the bad rap that some people equate with fondant. Whatever you do, I'd LOVE to see the finished product!

emrldsky Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:44pm
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Stick with what you do best. As you mentioned, a fondant covered cake might work against you. However, fondant covered cookies don't seem to have the bad rap that some people equate with fondant. Whatever you do, I'd LOVE to see the finished product!

Thank you!! I have some ideas floating around in my head. I think I'll be sketching tonight. icon_biggrin.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 1:03am
post #18 of 28
Quote:

oh yeah, I understood that too. icon_twisted.gif

If you want to use fondant, then use my Jello MMF. I am telling you that it is awesome. My die hard fondant hating family.. ATE ALL the jello fondant off the cake. I felt so bad for the cake.. it looked skinned. icon_cry.gif plus it makes the smoothest fondant I have ever tried.

Now Go get 'em!!

emrldsky Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 5:34pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Quote:

oh yeah, I understood that too. icon_twisted.gif

If you want to use fondant, then use my Jello MMF. I am telling you that it is awesome. My die hard fondant hating family.. ATE ALL the jello fondant off the cake. I felt so bad for the cake.. it looked skinned. icon_cry.gif plus it makes the smoothest fondant I have ever tried.

Now Go get 'em!!

I did think about that. I'm pretty sure I have your recipe saved somewhere. lol

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 5:44pm
post #20 of 28

"I work in an IT area of a university...not much to go with there. lol And I've only done one 3d carved cake, and while I learned many lessons from it, I'm not sure it's something I want to take on for this. "

What about a square or 1/4 sheet of a fabulous tasting cake decorated as a printed circuit board?

You could cover in green fondant (or green BC if you really think fondant hurts your chances) You could do all the little chips, capapcitors, resistors etc in fondant cut-outs or candies. Pipe all the solder connectors & brush w/luster dust.

OR--what about the university logo or mascot?

Go get 'em!
Kristy

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #21 of 28

O m'gosh, that sounds like fun!! I have to do something for the volunteers at an animal shelter next week, and you've inspired me to do something creative. I'm thinking brownie pops....make that cheescake brownie pops....covered in colored candy melts and decorated to look like little dogs & cats. icon_smile.gif

ETA: Oh, and I understood your "mwahaha" to be gleeful anticipation of a friendly competition...nothin' wrong with that!!

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 6:47pm
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

If you want to use fondant, then use my Jello MMF.

Tesso, I just tried to get your recipe in the recipe section here, but I couldn't get it to show; kept getting a blank page. Would you please repost it here, if you could? Thanks so much! It sounds so good and I'd love to try it.

Thanks again,
PianoDiva

Herekittykitty Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 7:27pm
post #23 of 28

I just used Tesso's jello mmf on my state fair comp. cake (black one in photos) and it was awsome, it is the first time I have ever flawlessly covered a cake in fondant and the taste is fantastic (raspberry). I don't know if it is supposed to but it had a reflective sheen that was kind of cool and took color like a dream - hardly had to use any black.

Lovely decorated cakes are your strong suit yes? I

nstead of dressed to the 9's maybe something simple - most of my fave. cakes on here are very simple design wise.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:53am
post #24 of 28

here is the recipe. enjoy.

Jello-MMF recipe

1 bag of mini marshmallows 10.5 oz.
3 tbs of water
3 cups of pwd sugar
1/2 pack of jello (any flavor)

1-2 cups of pwd sugar for kneading purposes.

I added the jello to the hot marshmallow mixture. I did not dissolve it first. I then put the mixture into my KA added powder sugar, mixed, then dumped on to counter and started kneading and adding PS until it reached the right consistancy. It only took a few minutes. I let the fondant rest over night, tighly wrapped in saran, popped it into micorwave to warm up and covered cake. There was NO graininess to the fondant

here is link to the post where this orginated, it might answers any questions you might have.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-682456.html

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 6:22am
post #25 of 28

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Tesso! Can't wait to try this out.

Thanks again,
PianoDiva

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 11:18am
post #26 of 28

I recommend you go to either allrecipes or epicurious or the cake mix doctor to select your recipe. For decoration, I agree that simple might be the way to go.

emrldsky Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 5:54pm
post #27 of 28

OMG! I decided to do something unique yet simple. Something that was individual-sized.

I baked cupcakes in ice cream cones, topped them with my chocolate fudge butter cream icing, and added sprinkles.

And I lost to a chocolate cake and a pie. I WAS ROBBED!!! icon_wink.gif

Oh well. At least I know what I made was good.

Herekittykitty Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:22pm
post #28 of 28

Sigh. Muggles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%