Separate Tabs Or One Sheet?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm by Herekittykitty

emiyeric Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making an iPod cake for a close friend's birthday featuring her favorite Coldplay album (she's going to a convert) on it, and as simple as a flat sheet cake should be to cover with fondant, I'm having the following question: should I cover all with one sheet of black fondant and paint the bottom borders all around silver like an iPod? Or should I cover black, and make separate silver tabs for the bottom borders and add them on? When you look at a real iPod, the silver is on level with the black, but I feel like the finish would be cleaner the other way. Suggestions? ...

3 replies
Herekittykitty Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 4

I'd paint if you want a realistic effect. You may have to paint more than one coat to get a nice silver w/o black dulling it a bit. Or roll very very very thin bits of fondant, add those and paint. But I vote for direct painting if you can.

emiyeric Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 4

So ... I painted! Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate the help! Here's the finished product ... http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1788062.

Herekittykitty Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 4

Huh. when i click the link it says photo not available. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Edited: Must be smarter than the technology... I went to your photos an wa-la! Fantastic job, all your cakes are amazing! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%