Help! Plastic Wrap Is So Annoying!

Decorating By yummy Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 6:13am by SugarMoon

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 24

I'm always having problems with it clinging onto itself before I can get my cakes wrapped. When I finally get it together and not 100% either it doesn't even cling tghtly.

What plastic wrap do you all use? As annoying as it is for me, I've never came across a topic on the subject. Is there some special tip, trick or brand that doesn't give you this problem that I don't know about? TIA!

23 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 24

I want to say I have heard of putting it in the freezer to make it easier to use, but never have.

I'm a press and seal girl. icon_smile.gif

yummy Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 24

I used press and seal once. I don't know why I never used it again.

Anyone else?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 24

I use stretch-tite. It's just the right thickness. I find that wrap that's too thin turns into a tangled wad. Wrap that's too thick, won't stick when it's supposed to. Stretch-tite is right in the middle. Easy to separate from itself if it folds over on itself, but sticky enough to hold when it should.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 24

sounds like you're using that crappy crap sold in grocery stores that they stick housewives with. That stuff is such a joke there should be a law against it! You need to get to Sam's or Costco or GFS and get some commercial grade saran. Yeah, it's a bigger box and you'll pay around $12 for it, but it will last you forever and it actually sticks to what you want it to stick to. You'll never use that crappy crap stuff again! I can wad this stuff up in a ball and then un-wad it and use it to cover stuff.

I've said for a LONG time ..... if housewives had access to the commercial grade stuff that I, as a caterer, had access to, then they'd LOVE being housewives. But it just seems to me that there are people out there who are making a living trying to come up with products that are this side of inferior to screw over those in the housewife market. It's as if they are saying, "Oh this is a piec of sh*t, but hey, its 'good enough' for a mom!"

Pi$$es me off. icon_mad.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 24

Lmao indy, you never fail to put a smile on my face!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 24

Actually, I HATE the commercial stuff from Costco! I get exactly the problem OP is having. I've recently switched to real Saran Wrap--the brand name kind, not the generic. It doesn't get all bunched up before I wrap the cake, and it's absolutely the best for icing plugs! But I do miss the convenience of having the huge rolls from the big box stores. icon_smile.gif

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 24

I put mine in the freezer, it never sticks to itself, i saw this on an episode of Rachael Ray

lilykins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilykins Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 24

I use the Glad Press & Seal - this stuff is awesome. It does cost more money though but I figure I get less aggravated so it's worth it!

yummy Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 12:48am
post #10 of 24

Thanks everyone.

Umm Indydebi, thanks, I think. LOL I didn't mean to get you all riled up. I use the brand name Saran Wrap. I've used Reynolds plastic wrap and the other name brand I think it's called Cling Wrap. Are you referring to those as the crappy stuff? It makes sense coming from a caterer; the small grocery stores in my neighborhood makes sandwiches and they have the big roll in the box on the counter and they wrap the hell out of the sandwiches and sliced deli meat and cheeses, tight!

Lilyankees5688, Do you put the roll and the box in the freezer? Please explain, thanks.

indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 1:01am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

Umm Indydebi, thanks, I think. LOL I didn't mean to get you all riled up.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif No prob!! Sometimes it doesn't take much to get me there! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Seriously, I was constantly amazed at the better quality EVERYTHING that can be purchased for a business that is not available to us as a regular housewife. Stouffer's brand frozen lasagna that I bought from Sysco for a catering tasted WAY better than Stouffer's brand frozen lasagna that we bought at the grocery store for our personal meals. It's crazy .... but I swear on my grandchildren's lives it's true.

I absolutely hate buying ANYTHING in a regular grocery store anymore. I feel like I'm being cheated and short-changed.

And I can go on for days on cleaning products! You cannot believe how much EASIER our daily lives would be if we, as housewives, had access to the high powered cleaning products I could get for my shop and my shop restroom. THAT would REALLY tick you all off! icon_lol.gif

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 1:17am
post #12 of 24

I use Press & Seal, it's the best. But yes, I know what you mean about any brand plastic wrap - they all suck icon_mad.gif I"ve never used the commercial grade but the store stuff no matter the brand is horrible. I'll keep my Press & Seal until I find anything cheaper that works.

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:04am
post #13 of 24

ITA with indydebi on the commercial grade stuff... dh and I have a catering company and I can't shop at a reg grocery store anymore either... I recently left a box of plastic wrap at my mother in law's because she kept running out of her "grocery store" wrap and was amazed at the difference in quality..(she even told me she'll buy the wrap from me...lol) even the fact it's stationary because it's big and heavy is a plus when it comes to wrapping because u arent trying to tear it in midair so it won't get all stuck together.. and the wider width makes it a cinch to wrap large layers of cake.

And ditto on the cleqning supplies.. In-laws own a janitorial business and those cleaning products are miracle workers..cuts through soap scum and hard water stains like they were nothing.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:27am
post #14 of 24

Press N'seal is the only way to go!

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 3:13am
post #15 of 24

I have this dispenser from QVC.com and love it! It has rubber feet on the bottom so it doesn't slide around and cuts the wrap so easily! My sister-in-law has had hers for over 30 years and it still cuts like new!
It is item #V28870 and comes in a set of three, one for plastic wrap, one for foil and one for wax paper.
It allows you to use both hands so you don't get tangled up in it. I used to have a terrible time with plastic wrap and I would to throw out more than I used. I buy the 200 sq foot wrap for my dispenser. That is the biggest size available in my area.
Check it out!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 3:18am
post #16 of 24

I only use wraps with the zip cutter. I get the regular 12-inch rolls for every day at Sam's. I bought a zip slide attachment from a restaurant supply for my 18" gigantic roll (like the one Indy described).

I either place the item in front of the box and pull the plastic over it, or pull the plastic out first, then place my item on top of it. Run the zip cutter across the edge to release the wrap. I never wave plastic wrap in the air any more!

dholdenrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dholdenrn Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 3:57am
post #17 of 24

!!!!!I know the very best plastic wrap to use, and you are going to laugh, but Wal-mart's store brand is the BEST!!! BUT...you have to get the box that says "Professional Strength"! The other is crap! You will love it!!!! I tell people all the time! My daughter bought some "Saran" brand the other day and it was awful! Trust me on this one!!! You will be thrilled with it!

indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 4:14am
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholdenrn

!!!!!I know the very best plastic wrap to use, and you are going to laugh, but Wal-mart's store brand is the BEST!!! BUT...you have to get the box that says "Professional Strength"! The other is crap! You will love it!!!! I tell people all the time! My daughter bought some "Saran" brand the other day and it was awful! Trust me on this one!!! You will be thrilled with it!

Now that I dont' buy in bulk anymore, I'm gonna give this a try!

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 4:37am
post #19 of 24

I totally agree about the Wal-Mart brand "professional strength". I actually grabbed it by accident one time (I usually by the cheap crap and cuss at it everytime I use it). I will NEVER use el cheapo again!

cakeythings1961 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:30am
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Stouffer's brand frozen lasagna that I bought from Sysco for a catering tasted WAY better than Stouffer's brand frozen lasagna that we bought at the grocery store for our personal meals.

No fair!! icon_lol.gif

cakeythings1961 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:31am
post #21 of 24
Quote:

Thanks for the tip!!

yummy Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:54am
post #22 of 24

Thank you all. There is no walmart where I live; so I'll get the big profeesional roll.

Fold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fold Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 1:33am
post #23 of 24
Quote:

Hi, thanks for the tip...is this the right kind?

SugarMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoon Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:13am
post #24 of 24

That's the one! I have it and really like it, too. Great plastic wrap, but still has the disadvantage of not clinging to plastic.
Speaking of those dispensers from QVC, my stepmother is a huge QVC fanatic. She's been watching it while she cleans the house since I was a kid. Due to a huge case of Murphy's Law I ended up decorating a cake at my parent's place and got to use those things. I was absolutely fascinated. I said to my Dad "Dad, these are amazing! Lilia got them off of QVC didn't she?"
and he said "Are you kidding?"
ha. ha. Seriously, though. They're neat. You just slide out the wrap and punch the lid down. Voila! wrap is cut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%