R2D2 Disaster!

Decorating By KathleenRN Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 5:02pm by KristyDi

KathleenRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenRN Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 10:26am
post #1 of 4

The other day I attempted my most challenging cake, yet--R2D2. I've been taking classes in decorating since January. The cakes I bake for friends and relatives are really just a hobby for me. Going through an intensive divorce, having a creative outlet has been therapeutic for me, as well.

A nurse I work with is like, "Can you make me an R2D2 cake?"

So, I researched it online, found a few photos, and thought, "how hard could it be"? So, I told him, "Sure. I can try."

OMG!! I was ready to throw the freaking thing out the window!! I have never covered a 3-D figure in fondant and the darn fondant kept tearing. Then there was the whole structure dilemma with trying to get the legs attached.

After working all night, with nothing to show for my effort, I finally cashed in my chips. I tore the dome off, re-iced the top, and gave it to my neighbor. Too bad, though. It was one of my best chocolate cakes, with chocolate ganache and strawberry filling.

I felt bad for my collegue, like I let him down. icon_sad.gif I told him I would research it some more and try again--after my frustration level goes down!

On a side note, my neighbor texted me and said he'd taken my cake to a party. Everyone "Oooohhhed and Awwweed" over it and wanted to know which bakery he'd gotten it from. LOL

I used 6 in rounds and half of the "ball mold" pan for the dome.

Anyone who has done this cake before that can give me tips on how to cover the darn thing in fondant without it tearing and getting the legs attached, I would be most grateful. I was attempting to use RKT for the legs.

Thanks!!

3 replies
laurenboxall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurenboxall Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 11:14am
post #2 of 4

Did you have ganache or something else under the fondant?

I've never made one but this may help: http://www.bsideblog.com/2008/06/making-the-most-amazing-r2-d2-cake-ever/

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 11:48am
post #3 of 4

How thick was your fondant? How tall was the cake?
I made an R2 cake about 10 years ago for my oldest son's 11th birthday- so I just used BC. For the legs I used stacked cardboard pieces and covered them in BC too. (this was loooooong before RKT was considered a decorating medium) Attaching them was as simple as putting dollops of icing on them and attaching to the cake.
When my son gets married I think I will do it again-- only this time it will be MUCH better. (if I knew them what I know now)

KristyDi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyDi Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 4

I've never made 3D cake before, so this may be a dumb idea but I thought I'd throw it out there. My DH is a huge star wars fan and loves R2 so I've contemplated how to make an R2 cake since I'd like to try one for his next birthday.

I was thinking I'd get a plain footed cake plate (or even make one of plywood or something) exactly the size of R2's body. Since he has 3 feet I'd use RKT to build one foot around the foot of the cake plate and just place the other 2 where they should go under the cake plate. That way he's supported by the cake plate, but it's hidden.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%