Burlesque Cupcakes... Any Ideas?

Baking By SheylaCakes Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 10:21pm by zespri

SheylaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheylaCakes Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:56am
post #1 of 20

HiB first I apologize if this is considered adult!

I got this order for 50 cupcakes for a Birthday Party with a burlesque theme, I'm doing vanilla cupcakes half filled with Nutella and the other half with Dulce de Leche. The client said the color were red and black (only the two colors that make icing suck!) So I got her to go with chocolate frosting in place of "black". I'm thinking about doing cupcake wrappers with kinda of a bustier in front like ones I saw on etsy, just some lace glued on them so it would be red wrappers with black lace. I want to do some fondant decorations to top the cupcakes but can't think of anything!
What do you would be cute burlesquey shapes??? I don't want to do anything X rated since I judt don't do that kind of thing, just something fun and flirty... Help! Pls!

Thanx in advance! Is the first time I post a topic but I know you are all very helpful ( and sorry if it just seems like rambling :s)

Thank you again! Blessings icon_smile.gif

19 replies
CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 20

how about a sillouhette of a dancer or a corset for a pattern and cut out in black fondant to place on cupcakes.

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 20

Yep- I would go with the corset too. You could use a heart cutter then pipe the lacing. Easy Peasy

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 20

Things I think of for burlesque - corsets, bras, panties, feathers, masks, stockings, heels, theater curtains...
Ur idea for the cases sounds cool too!
xx

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:51am
post #5 of 20

not sure if this will suit you, but I remembered seeing the cover of this book, and wondering if the skirt was made with a thick piping tip. It would suit your theme quite well I think!

http://media.mightyape.net.nz/serv/get-image.dyn?imageId=17546557

emkosztka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emkosztka Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:49am
post #6 of 20

pasties? they are the nipple coverings that burlesque dancers wear, just round circles with tassels coming out?

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:56am
post #7 of 20

Can you make some kind of fondant feather (shaped like an ostrich feather) to come out of the top of the cupcake so it looks like head dress?

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 10:32am
post #8 of 20

What about doing like ruffles on a skirt with fondant legs w/high heels kicking up??? Or is that more can-can?

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:46am
post #9 of 20

I think just alternating the colors for ruffles would be good, especially if you do elaborate corset wrappers, maybe add some sparkle (sanding sugar).

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:59am
post #10 of 20

This is what popped into my head when I read your post.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1704698.html

Could you alternate red, white and black? Use white for bras and panties and trim in red and black?

Hope This Helps!

SheylaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheylaCakes Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:00am
post #11 of 20

Thanx ladies! Great suggestions all! Had not thought about the pasties that sounds fun! Saw some ruffly skit legs poking out images and I'm deft giving those a shot.
About the feathers I just don't know how to go abou it :s would you do it gum paste, fondant...?

So far I'm deft set on making corsets, heels, bras and panties... I'll try the legs thing and the pasties and would love to read more from you about the feathers!

Thnx again is great to feel the support and interest icon_smile.gif

S

Ps sorry not to aknowledge each person but I'm writing from my phone so its kinda difficult :$

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 11:44am
post #12 of 20
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:20pm
post #13 of 20

I have the Kinky Cupcakes book.

For this image http://media.mightyape.net.nz/.....d=17546557 of the legs and skirt the instructions are:

Make the legs using the royal icing runout method. Use the picture from the book as a template or find one off the internet but make it roughly 3 1/2 inches tall.

The buttercream is just smoothed on with a palette knife.

For the frills it is fondant, you could use the garrett frill cutters. It says in the book to roll a 2cm wide strip and ruffle one side with a cocktail stick. then just lay it around the cupcake.

Do this with all the colours and then make a slit in the top of each cupcake and press the legs in position.

HTH

stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 20

Lisapeps, I googled the frill cutter you spoke of and came up with this link,
www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=658&s=0&name=Gumpaste Cutters/Frill & Garrett Cutters

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
wow there are alot of them, which do you think would be best to get the ruffeled skirt effect?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:46pm
post #15 of 20
LisaPeps Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:20pm
post #16 of 20

Either the PME one which Tiggy2 has or the FMM one http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16686&name=FMM%20Garrett%20Frill%20Cutter

I have the FMM one, I don't think there would be much difference between them, I guess it'd just be preference of supplier/ price/ availability which affects which one you get.

Or just use a ribbon cutter tool http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17248&name=FMM%20-%20Multi-Ribbon%20Cutter (out of stock there but you can get it else where) and cut strips as the book suggests.

zespri Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 8:06pm
post #17 of 20

Is the rest of the book any good Lisa?

I just googled the 'runout method', how cool! Though would the legs look 3D, or do you think they'd be quite 2D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

I have the Kinky Cupcakes book.

For this image http://media.mightyape.net.nz/.....d=17546557 of the legs and skirt the instructions are:

Make the legs using the royal icing runout method. Use the picture from the book as a template or find one off the internet but make it roughly 3 1/2 inches tall.

The buttercream is just smoothed on with a palette knife.

For the frills it is fondant, you could use the garrett frill cutters. It says in the book to roll a 2cm wide strip and ruffle one side with a cocktail stick. then just lay it around the cupcake.

Do this with all the colours and then make a slit in the top of each cupcake and press the legs in position.

HTH

LisaPeps Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 9:20pm
post #18 of 20

More 2D than 3D, you could try sculpting them out of gumpaste, though that would be more difficult (think of cost/time)

Yea I really like the book. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but the actually decoration is really good.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 9:41pm
post #19 of 20

Burlesque brought on the birth of the Stripper.

Have you seen the Naughty Cakes books by Debbie Brown? They might offer you some ideas.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

zespri Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:21pm
post #20 of 20

I have seen a couple of 'feather' cakes on here, and they have used rice paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheylaCakes

About the feathers I just don't know how to go abou it :s would you do it gum paste, fondant...?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%