Painting Silver, I Need Help Asap

Decorating By DinasSugarShack Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 5:56pm by harveybw

DinasSugarShack Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:04am
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone;
I am making a caking with parts of immitating metal. I already covered a dowel with gumpaste and let it dry. I bought the silver sheen from americolor thinking that it was going to give me a silver color, but instead it just gave me a streaky look. I tried painting the gumpaste in gray (made with black and white wilton colors) and I am thinking of painting with the sheen over it. The rest of the cake is made in red fondant, and I am afraid that it will clash.
Please help me, do you another idea on how to achieve the silver?

8 replies
snazzygem Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:07am
post #2 of 9

I just make a back to school cake and had made gum paste scissors. For the the blade, I used silver pearl dust and added a few drops of lemon juice to make it like paint. The color was perfect for the look of metal!

Hope that helps!

Kate icon_smile.gif

Beccaboomay Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:15am
post #3 of 9

I use the silver luster dust with vodka. Paints on really nice and the vodka disolves.

DetailsByDawn Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:31am
post #4 of 9

The previous posters are soooo right about the silver luster dust and vodka/lemon juice. I bought some Duff's silver spray and it DID NOT work at all - I had to scramble at the last minute with silver airbrush paint (Horrible streakey purple mess) and finally luster dust and vodka - worked like a charm!! It's the crown in my most recent cake pic - if that's the look you're trying to achieve. Good luck!!

luckylibra Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 9

Same here, silver luster dust and vodka. There is a silver softball bat in my pics that someone on here helped me with when I asked this question!! I used grey fondant and then painted the luster dust over it and I think it turned out pretty well. Good luck!

LEHLA Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 9

SILVER LUSTER DUST WITH VODKA OR CLEAR VANILLA works like a charm I have a badge in my photos it worked great on!!

Price Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 9

I use the silver luster dust with either Everclear or Lemon Extract. I think the Lemon Extract paints on smoother, but is more expensive to use.

emiyeric Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 9

Ditto on the silver luster dust with vodka!!! Yes yes yes!!! I've painted over white AND black (several pics in my photos, including my very last one of an iPod with a LARGE area painted silver) and it works just great. Dries quickly! HTH!

harveybw Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 9

I used silver lustre dust on my cosmetic bag cake for the zip except I just brushed it on dry. It looked great icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%