Why Do My Bare Cakes Look Like A Corset???...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 7:12pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:23am
post #1 of 20

Hi Cakers!

When I go to stack a layer on top of another, the cakes look similar to a women's corset at the middle?? It curves inward.

I use MAGIC LINE pans
I use AGBAY level
I use stiffen BC for dam

However, my oven racks are not level. So when they come out one side is higher than the over. BUT, I take care of this by leveling it with my AGBAY.

Suggestions???

Michael

19 replies
Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:37am
post #2 of 20

Hi Michael, am just wondering if the cake has cooled too quickly or cooked too quickly and come away from the sides. So that the top of the cake is narrower than the bottom of the cake, thus when you put the two tops together you are getting an hour glass figure, so to speak!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:11am
post #3 of 20

what temp are you cooking the cakes at? should be 325.

Also, remove the cakes from the pan within 3-5 minutes, out of oven, (that is only my advice, because it is what I do)

THe reason I remove so quickly is, metal retains its heat and it is just going to keep on cooking that poor little cake. icon_lol.gif

Mikel79 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 9:41am
post #4 of 20

Hi!

My oven runs a little hotter normally. I bake at 320, to reach the 325. Last night though, I noticed that my Temp. gage did not reach all the way to 325?? Geesh! I am having more trouble with this oven.

My cakes do start to pull away from the sides in the oven. I thought that was a good thing? Also, I have always been told to never take the cakes out of the pan until 10 minutes after they have cooled for a little while??

Thanks again!

Michael

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 20

Mine do the same thing. When I take them out of the freezer, each layer looks like it is sucked in in the middle of the side. Like it has a corset on. I bake my cakes at 325, I let them cool before freezing, and I thaw them still wrapped.

Any clues??

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 20

I thought I was the only one lol Glad I'm not alone but sad we have no answers icon_biggrin.gif

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 20

If they start to pull away from the sides then they are actually getting overcooked. They will continue to cook while sitting in the pan as well, remove them from the oven the moment a pick comes out clean and then remove from the pan as soon as possible. Can you level your oven out, maybe that is why your racks are not level.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 20

It sounded to me like the problem was occurring more in the stacking than in the baking. If you cakes are rising and have a slight mound on each top when you turn them over to stack them the bottoms will spread out wider than the top. Trim the mound off the top of each cake. That way, when you stack them the bottoms won't spread out. Each cake needs to be flat on top when you stack them.

poohsmomma Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 20

My cakes are trimmed before they come out of the pan and are perfectly level. That's not the problem. And the sides aren't bulging out, they are sucked in along the middle, like Mikel said, it looks like Scarlett has tightened her corset and has that 16" waist.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:50pm
post #10 of 20

I don't know if I'm way off here or not BUT:
I bake cakes using the modified box cake method. I add the pudding and sour cream to the box mix.
Well, when I use Pillsbury cakes I get this problem. But, when I use Betty Crocker I don't. ???
The reason I know this is Betty Crocker doesn't make a red velvet cake. So when I get an order for one I have to use the Pillsbury and it's always a nightmare to deal with. It never comes out of the pan well and loses it shape really easy. Maybe just maybe this might be somewhat of a culprit????

poohsmomma Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:30am
post #11 of 20

I always use Duncan Hines.
How about you, Michael?

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:47am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by malene541

The reason I know this is Betty Crocker doesn't make a red velvet cake. So when I get an order for one I have to use the Pillsbury and it's always a nightmare to deal with.

Pillsbury doesn't make a red velvet mix. Maybe it's Duncan Hines you have the problem with? And I would think it has more to do with temperature or baking time. It's similar to how the cake mounds in the middle as the outside bakes faster, but doesn't mound as much if you keep the outside edges cooler -- like if you use baking strips.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 20

You know I think your right DSmo! It is Duncan Hines when I look now.
For some reason my edges don't seem over cooked and I never time my cakes I just do the toothpick test. But even carving a cake, the red velvet never comes out great. I modify the box mix the same as my other Betty Crocker ones but the red velvet typically doesn't come out of the pan as easily (there is always a little bit that sticks somewhere) and it doesn't hold up as well as the Betty Crocker ones. It's really a noticeable difference if I cook a larger cake like a 12 or 14 incher. I have a heck of a time getting the cake to not split down the middle.
I do have a lot of baking strips but haven't used them since I've been using the modified box mix recipe (don't get the mound anymore) but I will have to give them a try with the red velvet and see if that will help my problem. ???

Mikel79 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I always use Duncan Hines.
How about you, Michael?

Hi Poohsmomma!!

When doubling a recipe. I use one box of DH and one box of Pillsbury. However, when I use to do DH only, I never had this issue?!?!

Also, since I change to the Pillsbury brand, my cakes are WET when removed from the plastic bag from settling.

I think I am going to switch back to DH only. But, use the modified recipes that include Sour cream and pudding mix.....

I will let you know...
Michael

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 6:22pm
post #15 of 20

This is a really interesting topic. As I re-read this, I can't help but wonder if being in different parts of the country might affect the outcome also. I know a lot of people like adding pudding/sour cream to a mix, but when I've tried that I got TERRIBLE results. And a lot of people like Betty Crocker mix... I hate it (both for taste and texture). Duncan Hines is ok, but my favorite is Pillsbury. Never have a problem with a Pillsbury mix, while I have had trouble with the others. And I know many people swear by Duncan Hines. So I wonder if climate has more affect on how a cake bakes up that we might think. Hmmmm. icon_rolleyes.gif

Mikel79 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 6:32pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmo

This is a really interesting topic. As I re-read this, I can't help but wonder if being in different parts of the country might affect the outcome also. I know a lot of people like adding pudding/sour cream to a mix, but when I've tried that I got TERRIBLE results. And a lot of people like Betty Crocker mix... I hate it (both for taste and texture). Duncan Hines is ok, but my favorite is Pillsbury. Never have a problem with a Pillsbury mix, while I have had trouble with the others. And I know many people swear by Duncan Hines. So I wonder if climate has more affect on how a cake bakes up that we might think. Hmmmm. icon_rolleyes.gif

This is a good point as well! Sharon Zambito BC icing recipe calls for a total of 16 tbls of liquid ( I think, might have to double check) BUT, when I make it I have to use at least 20 total of liquid.

I think the humidty makes a big difference. Ga SUCKS big time with the humidty.

=)
Michael

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 6:43pm
post #17 of 20

Mine do this sometimes too, but I'm pretty sure it's just because the cake pulls away from the sides of the top of the pan as it domes, but it doesn't really pull away towards the bottom of the pan, so the diameter of the cake is larger at the bottom than at the top. Even when I level my cakes, the diameter of the top of the cake is still smaller than the diameter of the bottom, so when I stack, and the tops of the cakes meet in the middle, it gives that unwanted corsett effect. That's my hypothesis anyways. I guess the solution would be to not let the cakes pull away from the sides, but I don't know how to do that so I end up having a lot of extra buttercream around the middle to compensate. icon_smile.gif If you figure it out, let us know!

Mikel79 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 6:53pm
post #18 of 20

I was always taught that you should take your cake out when the sides start to pull away from the sides.

However, in Sharon Z. DVD, Back to Basics, she does not state this. It is shown to test the cake with a toothpick.

The next time I make a cake, I am going to take it out before the sides pull away. BUT, you cannot take the cake out of the pan too soon.

Geesh!
=)

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:03pm
post #19 of 20

I believe that your main problem is your over rack is not level. One side of the cake would be done before the other no matter what temp you are cooking at. I think if you find a way to level your oven that will help with your problem. Then you could try the other suggestions. Is the stove not level or the racks? Can you level the whole stove up or do something to make your pans sit level?

Mikel79 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:12pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_to_decorate

I believe that your main problem is your over rack is not level. One side of the cake would be done before the other no matter what temp you are cooking at. I think if you find a way to level your oven that will help with your problem. Then you could try the other suggestions. Is the stove not level or the racks? Can you level the whole stove up or do something to make your pans sit level?

It is my racks. The oven itself is level. We have taken both racks out and placed a level on them on a level surface. Sure enough not level. Once worse than the other.

I posted a different thread on how to fix the racks. Several mentioned to place shims under the cake pans. However, I cannot find shims that are over 1" wide. My racks have about 1 inch spaced in them.

Don't know how I can shim the racks to make them level. Tried to call the mfg., they were no help.

Any suggestions?

Michael
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%