Cake Crumb? Cake Texture? What?

Decorating By JustGettinStarted Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 1:51pm by rkei

JustGettinStarted Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:44am
post #1 of 5

Okay, so I'm new to all of this and I'm wondering a few things.

1. What is the "crumb" of a cake and what do you want it to be like?

2. For wedding cakes, what type of cake is best? Dense? Soft and fluffy?

3. What about for fondant, what kind of cake holds it best?

4. Tiered cakes? again, should the cake be dense or soft and fluffy (may be a better technical description)?

5. Will WASC hold up to buttercream, fondant, and stacking?

Thanks so much! I can't wait until I have gained enough knowledge from you all and my own experiences to be able to answer more questions than I ask icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:07am
post #2 of 5

The crumb of the cake is kinda tough to describe. The only way I was able to tell a difference was with a taste test. I baked a cake using all purpose flour and granulated sugar, then another with cake flour and baker's sugar. Wow, what a difference. The cake that used cake flour and baker's sugar seemed to melt in my mouth better.

For wedding cakes, the best cake is the cake your client likes. With in reason of course. I heard about one that wanted a fondant covered stacked cake, but they wanted angel food cake inside. Yeah, that's not gonna hold up. If you're concerned most about stacking, I wouldn't really worry about it too much, as the tiers rest on the supports, not the cake under it.

I've put fondant on my doctored cake mixes and my scratch mixes. The absolute best would probably be a pound cake, very dense, but there's no reason why it can't go on a chocolate cake or a carrot cake or whatever.

Tiered cakes, again, the tiers are resting on supports, not cake itself. So (with the aforementioned exception of angel food cake) most recipes will do fine for stacking.

WASC holds up to everything except a blowtorch. It's great for carving too!

Happy Caking!!!

tastyart Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:19am
post #3 of 5

I love WASC, I use it all the time. Hope it helps.

DefyGravity Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:40am
post #4 of 5

WASC is absolutely amazing! I don't even know how I'd bake a cake without it anymore icon_smile.gif

rkei Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 5

I think that four a wedding cake, a denser kind would be better, as when you ice a super fluffy cake, the cake wants to pull away with the icing when you lift your spatula.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%