The Cake Bible

Decorating By JustGettinStarted Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 12:11pm by JustGettinStarted

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:39am
post #1 of 8

So, I've seen on here where people say they love this book, but someone commented that the recipes weren't that great. What do you think? I just got it from the library (may buy it depending on the responses I get here) and I'm just wondering what expert bakers like yourselves think of it. Is it good information? How are the recipes?

Also, she says she bakes at 350 always, but I've seen a lot of you bake at 325...do those of you who like her book follow the 350 rule or bake at 325?

TIA!

7 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:35am
post #2 of 8

I have the book for reference only. I don't care for most of the recipes.

JustGettinStarted Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:37am
post #3 of 8

Loucinda, why is that? Are they not tasty? Do they not rise well? I'm really tight on money right now, so I'm wondering why so I don't waste my money icon_smile.gif Thanks

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:42am
post #4 of 8

My sister picked The Cake Bible up for me from a garage sale for 50 cents! It's a great read, though I haven't tried any of the recipes yet. It DOES have a wealth of information. icon_smile.gif

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:47am
post #5 of 8

I think there are some good recipes in the Cake Bible but Cake Central has become my cake bible...That, and a few other sites. I can tell you that some of the cakes are great for dinner...but they don't yield the layers needed for what baking has evolved into. The Almond Cake from the Cake Bible and the Grand Marnier are a couple of my families favs. I think its a great book to learn from. I ordered mine from Amazon or Half .com ...said it was used but like new condition. I don't think it was ever opened and only paid about $8.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:25am
post #6 of 8

The ones I have tried I just didn't care for. I have heard there is a "fix" for some of the recipes that she has in there. (she also has a newsletter that you can subscribe to that has a lot of good info in it) I just use it for reference, as I stated above. That kind of info is great, there are just better recipes out there.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:19am
post #7 of 8

Her new book is better in my opinion. It is called "Rose's Heavenly Cakes". I read the first book from the library, but the new one, I own. I use it more as a reference, but is great for technique and troubleshooting. The recipes I have made have been very good... just haven't made that many yet.

JustGettinStarted Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:11pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all so much! You are all very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%