My Oven Racks Are Not Level???....

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 25 Jul 2017 , 1:31am by kakeladi

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Cakers!

I have a huge problem. I have a oven that is about 1 1/2 old. Everytime I bake a cake, one side comes out higher than the other!!!! I have to cut a lot of cake off to make it level.

I have a level, and it shows that the left side of the rack is off. The oven legs have been adjusted to try to fix, but it does not help. So, we took the actual racks out of the oven and placed them on a level flat surface. Sure enough, the racks are the issue.

How can I fix this problem??

Thanks,
Michael

10 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 11

Try contacting the manufacturer or where you bought it and let them know, maybe you can get replacement racks since the oven is so new. No harm in trying

lstalder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lstalder Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:40am
post #3 of 11

I had the same problem so I got small wooden shimmies from the hardware store, covered them in foil and slide one (sometimes two) under the cake pan until it's level. Very easy to do, just takes a few checks with the level.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:07am
post #4 of 11

I just bought an older pizza oven, and the same thing. I had my hubby cut me a piece of metel, from one of my sheet pans-ouch, and it works great. Also I found grates at the bbq section at lowe's, they were real close, so i set them on top of the metal piece. I needed a 19.5 x 19.5, the grates are 19". Rigged, but perfectly level.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:16am
post #5 of 11

You can also go to the hardware store and buy large washers, you can get a box or a pack of them for just a few bucks. place the pan in the oven and slide a few under it until it is even.

have you ever noticed how creative we cakers can get when solving problems? icon_lol.gif

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 9:43am
post #6 of 11

OMG!!!

I never thought about placing something under the pans to make them level!!!!

I am going to the hardware store this weekend!!!

Thanks,

Michael

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 11

are the tabs on the inside of the oven even, racks are bent a little that would be hard to straighten out i would call the company? i hate to ask but did you put the level on the racks in the oven, then maybe a shim under the oven might work

SweetStuff221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff221 Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 11

I've always heard "Necessity is the mother of invention"

krye1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krye1025 Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 11

We have that issue with our oven at the bakery I work at. It's a pain in the butt but we rotate our brownies and cakes a few times in the beginning stages of baking. while the batter is first starting to bake and rise it is still liquidy and can be manipulated. So by rotating them 3-4 times in the first 12 minutes of baking you can help even them out. It may not be a perfect fix but it may help. Also if they are on a sheet pan in the oven it makes rotating a bit easier.

artskimmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artskimmer Posted 24 Jul 2017 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 11

I wanted something non-toxic and that would interfere the least with the baking.  Looked into aluminum rods or braces.  Looked into stainless steel braces.  Then it dawned on me:  I already have a set of old stainless steel flatware with pretty flat spoon handles.  The teaspoons are going to work just right, with the end of the handle under the cake pan, and the spoon bowl acting as a lever to raise or lower pan.  The spoon is short enough it won't interfere with pan placement, and sits across the rack so it won't fall between rack rods.  It'll probably turn blue from baking, but who cares?   

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 1:31am
post #11 of 11

Wow!  That's sure a thoughtful fix!  I don't think I'd ever have come up w/that solution.  Good for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%