Mmf Or Buttercream, A Little Help Please, Any Advice Welcome

Decorating By tokazodo Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 11:00am by tokazodo

tokazodo Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 11

I have a request for a cake which looks like a bottle of Captain Morgan Rum. I have a game plan in my head, but it's the final touches I'm questioning.
I've already cut 7" layers in half to stack them side ways on a cake board, flat side down, putting buttercream in between the layers. I've cut a pattern of the 1/2 layer so I can mold a bottle neck out of rkt, so it will meet up with the laywers. I plan to put a layer of buttercream over the whole thing and this is where it's getting sticky for me.
Should I cover it with mmf, or buttercream.
I am very comfortable with my buttercream and smoothing skills but I feel the cake would look so much better covered with fondant.
Should I try to cover the bottle with mmf instead? It would be only the 2nd time I have covered a cake with fondant. (1st cake was years ago) Fondant is still new to me. I have apprenticed as a baker and made cakes for almost 30 years.
Is this the right time to go big or go home? The person who asked for the cake is letting me use my discretion.
What do all you wonderful cakers thing would be the best choice?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

10 replies
tokazodo Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 11

Anyone? P-P-P-Please????

Alery Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 11

If you think it would look better with MMF that's what I would do. I always think my 3D cakes look better with fondant, but my buttercream skills aren't there. I would especially think of doing a bottle with MMF because you could get it to shine like a bottle in a way you couldn't with buttercream. It's all about your confidence and what you think you would like the end product to look like. HTH, good luck!

cherrycakes Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 11

If you really feel that it will look better with fondant (which I do too) then go for it! The worst that could happen is that you'd have to peel it off and go with buttercream. Also, I would suggest that you try Michele Foster's fondant -the taste is amazing and it is very easy to work with. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Cindy619 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 11

I second what cherrycakes said - start with the fondant and then one in doubt, you can always peel it off and go with the buttercream!

BeanCountingBaker Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 11

What about doing the label as a fondant plaque? Could be the best of both worlds icon_biggrin.gif

tokazodo Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 11

I really like that idea, cherrycakes and cindy619, you are right, i can always take the fondant off.

thanks so much!

tokazodo Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:11am
post #8 of 11

Thanks for all your help! I don't think this is too bad for a first fondant cake!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1786311

sillywabbitz Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:38am
post #9 of 11

It came out great. Can you give me more details on the construction of the cake? I'm not seeing how the 7 inch cake halves made that bottle shape. The shape is perfect and I plan to do a similar cake for my friend some day so I'd love any tipsicon_smile.gif

tokazodo Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 10:54am
post #10 of 11

First I torted my 7" layers and cute each layer in half vertically, then horizontally. I made the bottle neck out of rkt.

I put the 7" layers together like whole cake, but I marked where the mid point was. I figured it would be the easiest way to get the sides as smooth and even as possible. After I iced it, I took my spatula and divided the halves. When I placed them on the cake board, I placed the halves, flat side down.

Previously, I had made the rkt bottle neck. I used the cake pan as a guide so that the bottom of the bottle neck and the cake would meet up as close as possible. The gaps were very small but I did fill them in with buttercream.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with, i'd be glad to help.

tokazodo Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 11:00am
post #11 of 11

I could not add an attachment to this thread, so I added constructions photos to the actually cake photos. If you click on the link you should be able to see what I am talking about.

The 7" layers, made the cake look like a 1/2 -1 gallon bottle. I would use smaller layers next time.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1786311⊂=1786728

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%