Outgrowing My Kitchen

Business By dholdenrn Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 8:00pm by dholdenrn

dholdenrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dholdenrn Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 8

I have a home-based cake decorating business....my question is: At what point did you decide that you needed to move from your home into a storefront business?? I am doing about 9 cakes a week and working full time teaching high school. My kitchen has turned into a full-fledged bakery and my husband is complaining that he is not allowed to cook in it anymore.

7 replies
gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 8

I don't have an answer to your question, but I would be happy if my husband wanted to cook. icon_biggrin.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 8

Congratulations on your success icon_smile.gif

The only question I would have is this: would you want to spend that much time away from home if you had a storefront?

dholdenrn Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 4:08am
post #4 of 8

DefyGravity:
Yes! LOL!!! I would!! My daughter got married last December and I am BORED!! I would love to have a new business away from home, I just want to make sure I can afford it!

gingerbreadtogo:
he has to cook if he wants to eat...I cannot remember the last time I had time to cook!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 8

run the numbers. make a business plan. once you know if you can afford it, the decision is an easy one.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 8

You don't need to jump directly from a home-based business to a retail storefront, the intermediate (and much cheaper) step is renting out a commercial kitchen, keeping your home as the "storefront".

You also may want to consider raising your prices and/or cutting back on accepting orders...9 cakes a week plus a full-time teaching job is a recipe for burnout. Hiring a new employee would also help.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 8

as a fellow north carolinian --

do you REALLY want the expen$e of a storefront when NC is SO home baker friendly?

Might a second kitchen on site (converted garage, outbuilding) be better?

I know of one baker in Fayetteville who had a home business, got successful, opened a storefront, and then closed the storefront and when back to home based as it was not financially feasible to do the storefront in light of how much higher she HAD to charge to cover the storefront's costs vs. how much less all the home based businesses charged.

On site second kitchen allows hubby to cook, you a private "away" space and a more efficient custom design.

Loews and Home Depot even sell a cute 2 story outbuilding that would make a perfect mini-shop and there's lots of places selling the backyard storage buildings which can be custom ordered in terms of size and then could be fitted out to be a kitchen.

dholdenrn Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 8

Great ideas Doug...I had thought of the outbuilding idea before...still may look into that one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%