Ri Cookies In Bags, Problems!

Baking By PrezNixon Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 11:23pm by ALVARGA

PrezNixon Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 6

I've got an order for 160 cookies, they're those bride and groom cookies modeled after their outfits? So I'm using fondant for the most of it, but still royal icing for some of the details.

I ran into a huge problem the last time I did royal icing cookies and put them in bags though - even though I let them dry overnight, the minute the bag touched the dried icing it melted! Heat and humity weren't really the problem I think, since they were in Feb.

I see royal icing cookies in bags all the time at the store, they don't seem to have that issue. What am I doing wrong? Do I need more drying time, or a seal under a heat lamp or something?

Thanks for any suggestions, it's my first post but I'm so glad I've found this forum!

5 replies
breyes Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 6

Hi....I just did cookies for my sister's shower (haven't posted the pix yet), but I used fondant and Antonia's Royal Icing and it was fine. I let them sit for 24 hours and bagged them. It set beautifully, no problems. What royal icing recipe are you using?

msulli10 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 6

They need to dry for at least 24 hours to be on the safe side.

Montrealconfections Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 6

That is very curious? There must have been an issue with your RI recipe, this icing is very sturdy and can most certainly be placed in a bag once dry.

_christina_ Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 6

I was thinking the same thing about a problem with the RI recipe.

My RI (for details) dries super hard in a few hours and I can touch it with no issues in about 2.

I hope you can figure it out!

I just did 30 bridal shower cookies that I had to ship with fondant and RI details and they were ready to bag within hours, though I let them sit out for 24 hours+. When bagged and stacked in the box, no issues.

ALVARGA Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 6

My royal icing starts to crust almost immediately. Is it possible that your royal icing was contaminate with a little bit of shortening? Shortening will breakdown royal icing and make it soupy. By shortening I also mean any kind of fat and or the yellow from the egg. I always use powdered egg whites. I always use disposable decorating bags and keep a seperate set of tips that are only for royal icing. Never store your royal icing in plastic containers either. I only use glass bowls that have plastic covers that never touch the royal. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%