Cant Get Fondant Bow Loops Off Of The End Of The Broom Stick

Decorating By cakeaholic_cakery Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 2:16am by Loucinda

cakeaholic_cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaholic_cakery Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 7

I am making my first fondant bow, and spent the other night creating each of the loops. Per all of the "how to's" I found on the internet, letting the loops dry over a long pole such as a broomstick seemed to be the most popular method - I followed suit, and my loops are currently drying over our swiffer pole. In my ditzy-ness I didn't realize that the end of the stick has a plastic cover to hold the pole in place and allow for the swiffer to be hung. I am pretty sure that once my loops are completely dry they will not fit over the plastic piece (it is thicker than the pole itself). Am I totally screwed? Anyone else ever have this dilemma? I put the loops on the pole on Tuesday - it is now Thursday...

6 replies
Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 7

pushing soft tissue or kitchen roll to pad out until dry is much easier than the broom handle!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

Anyone else ever have this dilemma?

Yup. icon_smile.gif Try to take comfort in the fact that is the first and LAST time you'll ever have this dilemma.

I have no advice for this situation, but if you make a new set of loops out of gumpaste or 50/50 gumpaste and fondant, or fondant mixed with tylose, you only need to let them set up on the pole for about 30 minutes to an hour. Then, you can slide them off and lay them on their sides to finish drying. You may think they're perfectly dried after two days, but no air has gotten to the part that's touching the pole, so it may still be soft there.

I advise against using straight fondant because the risk of disaster is too great. For more tips, see the link in my signature below.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:47am
post #4 of 7

I don't know what to tell you about this time, but for next time, just lie the loops on their side while they dry. It is super easy, and works every time without fail!

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:55am
post #5 of 7

The first bow drier I made out of PVC pipe I made the mistake of putting end caps on each arm. Didn't realize the problem until I had it full of dry bows. Needless to say, the majority of them broke when I removed them. To correct the problem for future use I had to cut the end caps off because I had glued them on.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:05am
post #6 of 7

The end should pull off so you can then slide the loops off.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:16am
post #7 of 7

Usually the broom part of the broom will either unscrew or pop off, will yours do that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%