Don't Bake Distracted!

Decorating By Win Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 1:10pm by Win

Win Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 13

Gotta laugh. I'm baking my nephew's b-day cake... got the 8" Triple Chocolate(s) done, put the 6" Orange Blossom pans in and promptly shut off the oven. I've been wondering why they are not rising like they should! Caught the temp. at 223, so it did not completely cool down, but now anything is possible in outcome!

Too much on my mind today --should not drive or bake distracted! icon_lol.gif

12 replies
Win Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 13

All's well that ends well. The Orange Blossom turned out just fine. I'm just happy I don't have to start baking all over again. I'm pooped as it is!

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

DefyGravity Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 13

icon_smile.gif I do stuff like that all the time. Glad it turned out okay!

debbief Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 13

Glad it worked out for you. I hate it when I have to rebake!

The other night I was baking a cake and thought it could use 3-5 more minutes baking time. I often get caught up in something else and before I know it 5-10 minutes pass and I've overbaked. So I set the timer for 3 min.

Luckly I remembered it after a few minutes because I accidentally set the timer for 3 hours.

But then I forgot to turn the timer off. So I woke up in the middle of the night to an endless beep beep beep until I went down and shut it off....at least I remembered to turn the oven off!

I've done a lot worse when distracted, but we won't talk about that right now icon_wink.gif

Dizzymaiden Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 13

just the other day I forgot the sour cream in the WASC mix!

Elcee Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 13

Win, glad it turned out fine! There's not too many things more frustrating than having to rebake! icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:46am
post #7 of 13

I have learned to measure out everything first - don't ask me how I decided that was a good idea! icon_redface.gif

anxietyattack Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:16am
post #8 of 13

I poured PS into my Kitchen aid and without thinking turned it to 8. Yup. Rookie mistake.

-Tubbs Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:40am
post #9 of 13

Glad it all turned out ok.

I once put a couple of 6" cakes in the oven and then went out to run errands for about 3 hours. It wasn't pretty.

rkei Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 13

Yesterday, I made a cake, and I was to distracted trying to keep my little bros and sisters away, that I misspelled Hurray! OOPS! At least it was just for a family member. icon_razz.gif

anxietyattack Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkei

Yesterday, I made a cake, and I was to distracted trying to keep my little bros and sisters away, that I misspelled Hurray! OOPS! At least it was just for a family member. icon_razz.gif

I've done that. Have you ever checked out the blog cakewrecks? Google it. It's awesome!!!! I read it everyday.

cakeythings1961 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 1:05pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Gotta laugh. I'm baking my nephew's b-day cake... got the 8" Triple Chocolate(s) done, put the 6" Orange Blossom pans in and promptly shut off the oven. I've been wondering why they are not rising like they should!:

At least you didn't forget there was a cake in the oven and run to the store, which--ahem--I've heard people have been known to do. icon_wink.gif Umm, no, not me, nope, uh uh! icon_redface.gif

Win Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 1:10pm
post #13 of 13

Well, it's assembled, decorated (along with two dozen cupcakes) and ready to go... taking it on a two hour drive today. Here's hoping my luck holds and I can finish the story with a truly happily-ever-after ending... icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%