Is There A Difference In Serving Sizes?

Decorating By iris219 Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 7:44pm by iris219

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 7

I am a bit confused on the # of servings per Wilton cake pans. Their website only talks about cakes based on 2 layers cakes. It does not mention anything about a 3 or 4 layer cake tiers.

So does the # of servings increase if your cakes are 3 or 4 layers vs the 2 layer cakes? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

6 replies
durell87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
durell87 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 7

Serving size is based on pan size. Most tiers are two layers. Different serving charts have different serving guides as well. For example a 6in tier can yield anywhere from 6 to 12 servings depending on which chart u use. I prefer 8 servings for a 6 in. So look around at some different charts and pick one you like that u can start with. There's a good one by indydeb in the gallery section under the template section. Some ppl also use a smaller serving for wedding cakes versus party cakes. Whatever chart u use will still work the same. So let's say u do a two tier cake 10in and 6in u just add the total servings for the 10in to the 6in and wallah ur total servings for the cake lol well I hope I answered ur question as I look at my long rambling

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 7

The Wilton # of servings chart is for a 2 layer, (each layer being 2" inches, equalling 4" high tier). Each tier is then cut into the number of servings: 1" wide by 2" deep by 4" high slices. HTH

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 7

I forgot to mention that Wilton Party size slices differ: 1&1/2" wide by 2" deep by 4" high.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 7

wilton's cakes are 4" tall. Whether you have two layers that are 2" each or 4 layers that are 1" it is the same height cake.

hope this helps

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 7

I think when adding height (additional layers) the serving quantity remains the same but the servings are larger per slice.
So, I usually just go with a taller cake and know that the serving sizes are more generous, but you wont get more servings in any given cake.
Hope that makes sense....

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone for your imput, this all makes sense. Will go on the templete side for indydeb's chart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%