Is There A Difference In Serving Sizes?

Decorating By iris219 Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 7:44pm by iris219

iris219 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 7

I am a bit confused on the # of servings per Wilton cake pans. Their website only talks about cakes based on 2 layers cakes. It does not mention anything about a 3 or 4 layer cake tiers.

So does the # of servings increase if your cakes are 3 or 4 layers vs the 2 layer cakes? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

6 replies
durell87 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 7

Serving size is based on pan size. Most tiers are two layers. Different serving charts have different serving guides as well. For example a 6in tier can yield anywhere from 6 to 12 servings depending on which chart u use. I prefer 8 servings for a 6 in. So look around at some different charts and pick one you like that u can start with. There's a good one by indydeb in the gallery section under the template section. Some ppl also use a smaller serving for wedding cakes versus party cakes. Whatever chart u use will still work the same. So let's say u do a two tier cake 10in and 6in u just add the total servings for the 10in to the 6in and wallah ur total servings for the cake lol well I hope I answered ur question as I look at my long rambling

sandy1 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 7

The Wilton # of servings chart is for a 2 layer, (each layer being 2" inches, equalling 4" high tier). Each tier is then cut into the number of servings: 1" wide by 2" deep by 4" high slices. HTH

sandy1 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 7

I forgot to mention that Wilton Party size slices differ: 1&1/2" wide by 2" deep by 4" high.

leily Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 7

wilton's cakes are 4" tall. Whether you have two layers that are 2" each or 4 layers that are 1" it is the same height cake.

hope this helps

TrixieTreats Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 7

I think when adding height (additional layers) the serving quantity remains the same but the servings are larger per slice.
So, I usually just go with a taller cake and know that the serving sizes are more generous, but you wont get more servings in any given cake.
Hope that makes sense....

iris219 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone for your imput, this all makes sense. Will go on the templete side for indydeb's chart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%