Mixing Fondant Brands?

Decorating By KTB4 Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm by sillywabbitz

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever mixed Fondarific and Satin Ice together? I kind of hate working with Satin Ice and much prefer Fondarific but the latter is almost twice the price ($40 for 5lbs instead of $24.75)

I'm wondering if mixing the two together would work. It would solve the dryness problem I find with SI and make it cheaper in the end.

5 replies
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 6

I've never used Fondarific, but I've mixed Satin Ice with Massa from Albert Uster Imports for the same reason. I hate working with Satin Ice, but I needed a lot of blue fondant and I didn't want to color a white batch. It worked great once I got the right proportions.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 6

I"m pretty sure we just had a thread on this exact issue. IF you do a search, you should find a bunch of information there.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 6

I do this all the time because I find SI to be very soft - I mix with Wilton and get a good consistency.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 6

I'm with linstead - mix SI and Wilton.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 6

I just started mixing Wilton and Choco Pan. I tried straight choco-pan but with this heat it was just a mess. love the flavor but it sticks and tears and dries out.

I was super pleased with the outcome. Much easier to work with and better flavor than straight wilton. Next time I might even try a 60/40 choco to wilton just to bump up the flavor a bit more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%