Cakes At Craft Shows?

Decorating By grandmaruth Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 3:23am by Tinabarena

grandmaruth Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:37am
post #1 of 3

I am considering putting some cakes on display at our local craft show in Nov.and was wondering if this would be appropriate or if others have done it with any success...

2 replies
Tinabarena Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:21am
post #2 of 3

I have participated in a couple events - craft shows, vendor shows, animal adoption events, and something that's popular around me called Quarter Manias. I have had mixed results.

The biggest thing I have found is that obviously it depends on the attendance at the event. The Quarter Manias were random and usually didn't bring too many people in so IMHO, they aren't worth it.

The craft/vendor shows were much better, but it also depended on if there was 'competition' or another vendor that sold the same or similiar items as you, how much advertising they did to promote the event, and whether it was inside or outside. The hotter it is outside, the less people that usually show up to an event - at least in my experience.

I like doing the shows because sometimes you can really make a lot of money, but I don't like doing them because I really never know how much to prepare. Plus, MI just passed that new law so labeling all my products is really NOOOOOOT fun!

At the end of the day, I think half the events I did I came away happy; the other half, dissappointed. I will continue to do them (only one a month though) because "it's worth a shot" and I am always trying to reach out to new people.

Tinabarena Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:23am
post #3 of 3

I forgot to say that I sell cakes, cake balls and chocolate covered items - so my goal is primarily sales for the day. I have business cards that I give out and some people have called from the event to order a cake (not many, but a couple...)

Quote by @%username% on %date%