Wedding Cake Construction Help

Decorating By Ashley0415 Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 10:59pm by indydebi

Ashley0415 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:59am
post #1 of 12

I hope im not in over my head here. I will be making my uncle wedding cake in about 3 weeks.. and Im a little unsure of the construction of something this big. Is there a pole going down the center of this? or if I assemble it on site is it ok to just reinforce each tier?

Also.. do I use foam to separate each layer that the flowers are going into? I was originally going to make the hydrangeas but I think for the sake of time I'll use fresh or silk flowers.. Im just unsure of the construction of it.

thanks in advance for any tips!

11 replies
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 8:52am
post #2 of 12

when I do cakes lik this, I use the wilton hidden pillars (as seen in this cake): http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1417180

Then I just stuff the flowers in the open space, like in this cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1119353

I didn't have any styro or foam anything to push the flowers into .... they were just laid in place. The nice thing about the wilton pillars is you can cut them to the height you want. Notice there is more space between pillars in the first pic than in the 2nd. I cut the pillars shorter in the 2nd.

ncsmorris Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 12

I just wanted to add that I *think* hydrangeas are toxic, so I would not use fresh flowers. Please someone correct me if I'm mistaken!

I'm with indydebi on the construction - that's how I would approach it as well.

reginaherrin Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 12

Hydrangeas are moderately toxic if eaten, with all parts of the plant containing cyanogenic glycosides. In Japan, they even use it as a tea. So unless you eat a lot of the flowers I think you should be okay.

ddaigle Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 12

Hygrangeas are indeed poisonous. Google to get the list.

leah_s Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 12

I would use the multi-piece SPS legs, using 1, 5" leg + 1, 2" extension. That creates 3" of airspace for the flowers. Works great, very stable.

reginaherrin Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 12

I actually did google it before I replied and I got my answer on Wikipedia. I just did another google search and got various answers. The sites that list it as poisonous do not list a reference so I don't go by those websites, since anyone can publish whatever they want on the internet weather it is correct or not. You always have to make sure the site is reputable and having references is one factor. Anyways, wikipedia said it was moderatly toxic and cornell university said the WILD hydrangea is toxic. So unless there is a botanist or scientist reading this we may not really know the for sure.

sandy1 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 12

Don't use fresh hydrangeas, they are toxic. Silk is the safe way to go.

Indydebie's method is a great way to do your cake. You can assemble it at home, make sure the pillars are the height you want, then take each tier off the tier below, leaving the pillars in the bottom tier. This makes for a safe way to transport the cakes, (separately). Then you can easily assemble the cake and flowers at the venue. HTH

ddaigle Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 12

Regina..you are so correct. I do not like using fresh flowers because of the conflicting information. I have also found that some florists don't know either.

Ashley0415 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:18pm
post #10 of 12

Its funny you bring up to toxic flower issue.. I was reading through some posts on here last night and came across someone mentioning that right after I posted this icon_redface.gif

Those pillars look really helpful.. I think that will be much simpler. icon_smile.gif and since the flowers are silk, I can just lay them on top of the cake right? no harm there? And no need for a massive pole going down the center if I assemble there?

Ashley0415 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 12

One more question.. I hope this isnt a dumb one icon_cry.gif

What prevents the pillar from going through the cake I am putting it on top of.. or is it supposed to go through the cake? I think i just answered my own question.. lol. but I dont want to make any assumptions here.

indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley0415

One more question.. I hope this isnt a dumb one icon_cry.gif

What prevents the pillar from going through the cake I am putting it on top of.. or is it supposed to go through the cake? I think i just answered my own question.. lol. but I dont want to make any assumptions here.

the upper tier cake is sitting on a plate. The legs of the plate fit into the pillars.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%