Debating...go All The Way Or Settle? Long

Lounge By step0nmi Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 7:25pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:04am
post #1 of 5

well, I just need to get this off of my chest. If anyone has anything to say I will take it all into consideration.

As a recent graduate from college, I am totally going crazy trying to find out what I really want to do with my life icon_cry.gif

I am cake decorating out of my home right now, just to keep myself busy. I am great at cake decorating and everyone loves what I do! Except the money for it isn't coming in right now because of the area we're in.

I really think I want to plan events again. I originally started going back to school because I was planning events and just making minimum wage...I knew I could do more, have more creativity, and get paid more if I had a degree...and so I went back!

I've had a few interviews since I've graduated in May. A couple of them seemed really good and then the company had a falling out on keeping the jobs. icon_sad.gif I get that we are in really hard times but of course that's crushing for the person that is determined to have that job...like me!

I have a job prospect that is soooo up in the air ATM that it's driving me mad! I am a person that needs to be in control (hence cake decorating) and not being able to just pick up a phone and say "do I have the job" really bugs the crap out of me icon_lol.gif

what happened with THIS job is...I worked in the office before I graduated next to the catering/events department. they really liked me. come to find out that the manager and the assistant were together, engaged actually, and someone went to corporate. While they were being investigated the manager SOUGHT ME OUT! I was in total shock and very flattered. I would love to work for someone that has been doing things for 20+ years. A week later I find out that instead of his assistant being at fault that HE is now at fault and loosing his job. they just bought a house and I know they need their jobs...I was very sad for him and them.

so, it all comes down to his fiance "the assistant" deciding if she wants to go for HIS job icon_razz.gif she would have to go through the hiring process like everyone else...buuuut I don't even know if she HAS. The GM of the place called me to say that I am 1st on the list for the assistant position. I have to wait and see if she goes for the higher position icon_cry.gif

I just HATE HATE HATE the waiting game! it's no fun and I'm not fond of it lol. and, as I know, there's nothing I can do about it. I might not even know if she went for the job and got the position until a month from now icon_sad.gif

I want/NEED to be doing something creative with my life. Cake decorating has always fulfilled all side of what I need in work/career. I get to be creative but organized and in charge of speaking with customers and doing marketing.

I also want sooo badly to be an event planner! I'm amazing at delegating tasks and know I would be great at it. The GM of the place I want to go to said I'm "perfect" for the assistant job....she just can't give it to me yet. So, I know that I'm worth something! I know I could do this!

I've went over soooo many options of things that I could do to start a business in my area but I just feel like no one is receptive to it icon_redface.gif they all talk a big bunch but the orders aren't coming in. Then, if I wanted to plan events I would have to search out for brides and try and get them to come to me for a service they don't necessarily want to pay for. I can go round and round in my head and I guess I just keep not making it work out.

oh man...if you've read this far you are a saint! thumbs_up.gifparty.gifI guess I just needed to get this off my chest even though I talk about it all the time. It's like go all the way for my business visions or settle and WAIT for the perfect job to come around or settle on some random job I know I would have to put my all into and then probably pass up an opportunity for something better because I wasn't looking.

thank you for reading if you have icon_lol.gif

4 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 5

step0nmi, sorry, I don't have any advice for you but I want you to know I did read all the way through icon_biggrin.gif. I know you are frustrated but I'm sure things will work out as they were meant to be.

I do have a question, though, considering the situation at this workplace with the (former) manager and assistant, will you be putting yourself in the middle of some major workplace drama?

Good luck!

step0nmi Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:05am
post #3 of 5

Thank you Elcee icon_smile.gif

The thing is that the Manager will be leaving...so, my only option to go their is if the Assistant becomes the Manager. IF she stays in the job she is in as assistant then I don't have a job :p

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:51am
post #4 of 5

When I start obsessing about things that are beyond my control (and I do have a tendency to do that, LOL), I make myself do something that takes a lot of brain power so I can set aside my obsession. I'm sure your brain will still work on it in the background and soon enough you'll have an answer about what YOU want to do. Once you figure that out, the company where you do it won't matter that much.

step0nmi Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

When I start obsessing about things that are beyond my control (and I do have a tendency to do that, LOL), I make myself do something that takes a lot of brain power so I can set aside my obsession. I'm sure your brain will still work on it in the background and soon enough you'll have an answer about what YOU want to do. Once you figure that out, the company where you do it won't matter that much.

I'm trying sooo hard to do that icon_cry.gif it's been a constant battle to find something that stimulating again. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%