Putting A Filling In Your Cake

Decorating By Cargen Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 3:47am by mygirlssweet

Cargen Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:20am
post #1 of 3

I think I saw this somewhere on here, but I want to check before I do it. I have someone who wants a white cake with raspberry in between the layers. I think I saw somewhere on here to put a thin layer of icing down first and then put the raspberry filling on top of that. My question is, do I put another layer of icing over the raspberry? I think someone said you do it so it won't soak into the cake.

Also, they were thinking about doing this on the top layer of their wedding cake and I said I would need to check on freezing it. Is it OK to freeze with a filling?

2 replies
careylynn Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:46am
post #2 of 3

When using a filling, I pipe a thick edge of buttercream (or whatever you are using for the icing) around the cake, then put in my filling until it reached the top of the piped buttercream. That way when you continue to stack and fill the cake layers, the filling won't squeeze out. Make sense? I have never had a cake absorb the fruit filling. It should be a bit thicker anyways, not liquidy.

And, yes, I am sure it is fine to freeze fruit fillings.

mygirlssweet Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:47am
post #3 of 3

It really depends on the filling. Some freeze very well while others seperate. I recently made a raspberry filling and I didn't put any icing down first or after and had no soaking into the cake. I would think it should freeze ok.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%