How Do I Make A Palm Tree And Tiki Hut?

Decorating By 3boysmama Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 4:24am by emmystar143

3boysmama Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:05am
post #1 of 11

A customer has requested an edible palm tree and tiki hut on her daughter's birthday cake... I don't have much experience with fondant... any ideas?

10 replies
jlh Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:37am
post #2 of 11

For the palm tree, I've used the cereal straws. They used to be in the cereal isle. The kids liked them. Maybe you could use the pirouette cookies. Be careful about sagging, if you do them too far in advance. Maybe the cookies keep their shape. I tried the cereal straws and you need to fill them with chocolate to hold their shape. I just saw an awesome leaf technique from Vincent Pilon on Challenge recently. It was the for the Garden of Babylon. Maybe someone with more chocolate experience can better describe his technique. Good luck.

careylynn Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:04am
post #3 of 11

Does she want all edible? I used a 1/2 inch dowel covered in modeling chocolate circles for the trunk and then you can use gumpaste for the palms. If she prefers all edible, replace the dowel with a cigar shaped gumpaste piece, let dry all the way and then decorate in the same manner. Here is a link to the cake I did with the palm tree.

For the tiki hut, I've never done one, but I'm sure you could use gumpaste panels, glue together with RI, and then decorate with fondant.

beesweetcakes Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 9:39am
post #4 of 11

For the palm tree I can't help. I failed miserably at my attempt to make one last weekend. The Tiki Hut, I used 2- 6 inch rounds and covered them in fondant. For the rood I used the dome from the large cupcake pan and then I used the Wilton chocolate decorator frosting in the tube and piped each individual strand of grass on it. I would show you a picture but CC won't let me upload any of my pictures. I don't know if it's just a Mac thing. I hope my explanation made sense.

Occther Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:12am
post #5 of 11

I am getting ready to make some palm trees for a wedding cake this weekend. Saw this one from Global Sugar Arts's%20Design

Whenever I am searching for ideas, I go to Google Images - lots of pictures and ideas to reference.

KJ62798 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 11

I just did a tiki hut as a smash cake. I baked 2 4in rounds, cut the bump off one and left it on the other. Layered those for a tall skinny cake w/a bump top.

I frosted the bottom in a mix of light & dark choco buttercream w/a basketweave tip. I just brought vertical stripes up to the edge of the bump area. I covered the bump in green w/a grass tip. Did a grass border at the base and then added a fondant door and some fondant tropical flowers.

Let's see if it will attach--if not I'll add the whole cake set to my gallery & post a link.

It won't let me attach OR load up a pic to the gallery....ggrrrrrr

KJ62798 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 11

OK--finally got the gallery to work.

Here's my tiki hut--it was part of a set w/a hula girl.

debbief Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 11

I made a palm tree on my cake last weekend. I used the large size leaf cutter and cut slits in the sides. I used a skewer covered in fondant/tylose mixture. I cut little triangles out of fondant to cover the trunk and just curled them down a little.

What size tiki hut do you want? I've seen some cute ones made out of cupcakes. I've never done it though. If I can find it I'll come back and post.

Here's my cake with the palm tree.

hth icon_smile.gif

kitty122000 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 11

you can also use pretzel rods covered in fondant/gumpaste for the trunk I like to attach the leaves with candy melts, they harden up fast enough to work great as a glue

MissLisa Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 11

When I made a Tiki hut I used 6" rounds, one leveled and the other I left the bump on. Stacked them together, iced them in chocolate buttercream to give it the mud look and then took pretzal rods and broke them off at the right height. After putting the pretzals all the way around, I used a clay gun and used the multiple hole disc and used that for the straw on the top of the hut, that covered the bump!

Pretzal Rod for a palm tree too, you don't really have to do anything to the trunk if you don't want to and then cut your leaves out of fondant/tylose or gumpaste and put on top. Add a couple of coconuts and you're golden!

emmystar143 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:24am
post #11 of 11

I saw shredded wheat used for the thatching on a hut roof and it was the cutest idea!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%