Fillings- How Many Layers?

Decorating By YummyArt Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm by TexasSugar

YummyArt Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:17am
post #1 of 9

I have a beginner question. when you are using a filling, other than the frosting you are using for the entire cake, do you use in between all the layers of the cake, or just one?

I am working on a multi-tiered cake with the bottom tier being an 8" chocolate cake that I want to use a chocolate ganache filling. If I torte both layers (giving me 4 layers) do I use the ganache in all 3? or just in 1 or 2 and alternate with buttercream? (it will be iced in buttercream)
I plan for the second tier is to be a 6" pink velvet with a raspberry filling- again, do i use that filling in between each layer or alternate with my frosting?

I am concerned the filling could overpower the cake, especially with the ganache, but obviously want it noticed, too. Sorry for the the long post! Thanks for any advice!!!

8 replies
ncsmorris Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 9

I think it depends on the baker, really. I don't torte my layers, I just bake 2 2-inch layers and put filling in between. I've heard that others torte and put 3 layers of filling.

ddaigle Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 9

YummyArt, I split my layers like you do. It's easy to overfill. Do not fill about your piped dam...which you will need for your gooey fillings. Also, for gooey fillings, I have my center layer filled with butter cream to create stability and a non-shifting cake. Then I have the gooey filling above and below the butter cream layer. If you do this, make sure you inform your client, as I have found some get angry that they didn't have 3 layers of goo. It's all about informing them ahead of time.

Raspberry filings are very potent and can overpower the cake. I always try to not get too carried away when I fill with raspberry...but again, with a middle layer of BC, they will not have 3 layers of raspberry.

leah_s Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 9

I generally do three layers of filling, all the same. The caution not to overfill is wise. Overfilling will get you in trouble with shifting cake faster than anything.

pmarks0 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 9

I took a class this week with Bronwen Weber and someone asked her a similar question in terms of how much filling do you put in and such. She says she tortes her layers so that you get thinner layers, more filling, but not thick filling that can squish out (if that makes sense). So if you have two 2" layers, she tortes each and puts filling between all of them so 4 layers of cake, 3 layers of filling.

YummyArt Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you for the great advice! I did fill the chocolate cake with 3 layers of ganache, but not a very thick layer in each.

I will use a layer of buttercream and 2 of raspberry for the other cake.
I have complete free-reign on this cake as I am giving it for a baby shower and have chosen the flavors, design, etc myself.

And, of course, I won't forget the buttercream damn!

Thanks for all the help!

durell87 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 9

Mmmchoclate and rasberry sounds really good lol. But ya I agree I torte for 3 lyers of filling I think the filling is my fave part and really helps balence the sweetness of the bc and besides it looks prettier when u cut into it! I've also had a whole cake come crashing down when I overfilled so b careful lol

sillywabbitz Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 9

I saw your post and had an aha moment. I made a chocolate cake with Raspberry mouse for my sisters birthday and everyone raved about the cake but I thought something was really off with the cake..too sweet or something ...I think I put too much raspberry in the raspberry mouse. I used Lorann's oil and probably over did it...and I did all 3 layers with the mouse. I bet it would have tasted better with 2 layers of mouse and 1 of chocolate frosting...thanks for accidently figuring out my problem...and sorry for hijacking the threadicon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm
post #9 of 9

I tend to do filling between the torted layers and icing in the middle.

So my cakes are like this:

1in cake layer, filling, 1 in cake layer, icing that I am using on the cake, 1in cake layer, filling, 1in cake layer.

That way if you eat your piece in two bits with both bits you have cake, filling and icing. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%