How To Bake Thin Layers

Baking By mdmitchell Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 3:04am by imagenthatnj

mdmitchell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdmitchell Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:17am
post #1 of 5

While watching Cake Boss and other shows they use thin layers so they don't have to split the cake. How do they bake the thin layers. Looks like they use sheet pans, but how much batter goes in them.

4 replies
iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:28am
post #2 of 5

Hi I may be able to help you with this. I just made a Cross cake this past weekend for my Grandson's Christening. It had to be a big cake, so I baked 3 18"x12"x2" sheets. I really didn't want to get into having a disaster. In other words, I DID NOT want to torte the layers. I used Dawn's Vanilla Butter Cake cause I wanted it to be sturdy. I used 1 recipe for each sheet. I guess it filled each pan alittle less than half. I just watched it real close to make sure I wouldn't overbake them. They came out great. Also in Dawn's recipe she says to put parchment paper in the pans, and I think it helped hold them together. HTH

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:01am
post #3 of 5

go to bakerellas site, she did one... and she used a few disposible pans

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:01am
post #4 of 5

mdmitchell, there are also sheet pan extenders, 2 inches in height for your sheet pans and baking sheets so that they don't overflow.

http://www.cheftools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=02-3028&?utm_source=google%2Bbase&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google%2Bshopping

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:04am
post #5 of 5

Oh yes, Bakerella's 14-layered cake. Beautiful, but I'm sure that takes a while to bake though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%