Checkerboard Cake??

Baking By Glo Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 6:23pm by Chasey

Glo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Glo Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 2

I am making a Hot Wheels cake for a 3yr old. I want to make a checkernoard cake and I am wanting to know if the WASC cake (white) and the Chocolate version will work? I have read it is better to have a thicker batter for better results. I will be making 6 layers since the pans come 3 to set. I want to make kind of a half of an 8 track to make the number 3. If you undersand what I am trying to do. LOL Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I am a baker, but not a very experienced decorator.
Also do you think Indydebi's BC would work for this cake? I see it gets rave reviews, and would like to try it.
TIA
Gloria

1 reply
Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 2

Yes, it will work. You'll have to do A LOT of rinsing of that insert to prepare 6 pans of checkboard though! Be sure to spray the insert with Pam after each wash.

To make it easier on yourself, why not put the two 8 inch rounds (two layers each) next to each other on the board and cut just a little off where the 2 cakes meet. The cake will look like an figure 8 at that point.

On the top of the cake, use fondant or crushed oreo cookies and an icing outline to trace a giant number 3, following the right hand curves of the pan. MUCH easier than trying to carve a 3 out of a checkerboard cake....the cake is going to be just a touch crumblier than usual with that insert design. The "blank" areas that aren't the number 3 can be used for the birthday candles, his name, etc.

Here is a pic of what I am trying to describe icon_lol.gif
http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/coolest-race-track-birthday-cake-70.html

I did something similar for my son's birthday and bought new cars for the "road" and used white icing as dashes to make the road. (instead of a checkboard inside though, I made it outside around the entire cake with starred squares.)

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%