How Tall Are Your Cakes?

Decorating By PaulasPastries Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 4:00am by Kandykin

PaulasPastries Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulasPastries Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 32

taking a poll here - how tall do you make each tier for specialty cakes (teired birthdays or weddings). I usually do 3- 2" inch layers of cake (trimmed down) and it comes out to about 5 inches worth when all is said and done. But I know some professionals who use 4 layers of cake for each tier (each cake being baked in a 2" pan).

If you are making a smaller, but elaborate cake do you make it taller to make it bigger?

31 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 32

Most of my cakes are between 4.5-5" tall.

I use 2-2" layers, torte them, and fill them. My baked layers bake to 2" and I rarely have to trim them at all. It makes cakeballs a rarety in my house and my poor coworkers have to beg.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 32

Me too, 5" cakes are the most pleasing to me for some reason

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 32

interesting post.. so far it looks like I am making shorter cakes than the others icon_smile.gif
I make 2 - 2" cakes with filling.

PaulasPastries Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

Me too, 5" cakes are the most pleasing to me for some reason

so cathy do you also use 2 layers of 2" cakes to make 5" tall cakes?

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyladybaker

interesting post.. so far it looks like I am making shorter cakes than the others icon_smile.gif
I make 2 - 2" cakes with filling.

I think we are all doing them basically the same way. 2-2 inch layers, torted with 1/4 inch filling. If you 3 layers of filling and the top of it iced that should add about another 1/4 inch. 2X 2" = 4 inches: 3X 1/4 inch filling = 3/4 inch + 1/4 inch for the top layer of icing: 4 inches of cake + 1 inch of icing = about a 5 inch tall cake. Make sense?

Personally, I feel the taller cakes are more appealing also.

elegantwedding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elegantwedding Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 32

Hi, I really love cake. I've tried to make cakes but unfortunately I'm not that good baker. But I've seen my aunt baking cake she usually make 3 layers out of the cake.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:09am
post #8 of 32

Mine normally come out between 4 - 4.5 in tall. With a board they're a little taller. I bake two 2" layers, torte each one once and fill them.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:13am
post #9 of 32

I don't have to trim any of my cake for leveling, but even still my yellow tends to shrink up a bit and I can only get to 4.5". With my chocolate cake, I can get it to 5". I bake 2 2" layers for both and tort them so I end up with 3 layers of filling.

tokazodo Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:23am
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria925

I don't have to trim any of my cake for leveling, but even still my yellow tends to shrink up a bit and I can only get to 4.5". With my chocolate cake, I can get it to 5". I bake 2 2" layers for both and tort them so I end up with 3 layers of filling.

Maria, what is your trick for not having to trim them down? I baked some devil's food cake this week and the tops looked like Mount Vesuvius! (just kidding) I did have to trip them and I hate wasting all that cake!

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:30am
post #11 of 32

Mine come out to 4- 4.5 inches-- any taller than that and I worry about slipping.

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:51am
post #12 of 32

I can never get my cakes to bake level icon_sad.gif

PaulasPastries Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:05am
post #13 of 32

tokazodo, i agree with you that everyone is posting around the same height (4.5 to 5 inches). I posted this question because I am new to making tiered cakes and have two orders for this weekend, both to feed under 100 people. One is a 2 tier square (i'm doing a 12" base and a 8" top tier) and the other is a 3 tier round (doing 12", 9" and 6"). I agree with you that taller cakes are more appealing, and I like to make everything on the bigger side anyways. I'm just wondering proportionally if there is a point where the cake can be too tall (like should it be half as tall as it is wide, etc so a 12 inch square should not be taller than 6 inches)? i'm loving all the responses though, its always nice to see what everyone else is doing with their cakes!

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:18am
post #14 of 32

Ok, let me ask you all this...I go by the wilton serving chart for cups of batter per pan, and I can't get a true 2" cake. It always shrinks to about an 1 1/4-1 1/2. I am lucky to get 4 inches even after torting and filling. Do you all use more batter than wilton calls for or are you using a 3 inch pan?

oceanslayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanslayer Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 9:35am
post #15 of 32

I've found that the Wilton guide for amount of batter and the Wilton guide for cooking times, aren't working for me for the same reason. I eyeball everything now and it's working out much better!

tokazodo Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 9:47am
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by careylynn

Ok, let me ask you all this...I go by the wilton serving chart for cups of batter per pan, and I can't get a true 2" cake. It always shrinks to about an 1 1/4-1 1/2. I am lucky to get 4 inches even after torting and filling. Do you all use more batter than wilton calls for or are you using a 3 inch pan?

I switched to a 3 inch pan and I love them. I actually purchased 7" Fat Daddios to use for my 8" and I love them. I would like to eventually switch all my cake pans over to 3". They seem to bake higher. Also, I read here on CC where some folks are baking there layers with a rose nail in the batter. I find it does help to bake the cakes from crowning so bad. I would also like to purchase more rose nails so I can use them when I bake 8 layers at a time.

Just thinking out loud...

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 9:53am
post #17 of 32

The only thing I use the Wilton chart for really is the number servings. I fill my 2" pans to abut 2/3 fill and bake just a tad over the top edge, this allows me to trim just a little ( I save the trimmings for cake truffles) which gives me ature 2 " layer . I bake two 2" cakes , torte and fill and usually get about 4.5"

tokazodo Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 10:00am
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulasPastries

tokazodo, i agree with you that everyone is posting around the same height (4.5 to 5 inches). I posted this question because I am new to making tiered cakes and have two orders for this weekend, both to feed under 100 people. One is a 2 tier square (i'm doing a 12" base and a 8" top tier) and the other is a 3 tier round (doing 12", 9" and 6"). I agree with you that taller cakes are more appealing, and I like to make everything on the bigger side anyways. I'm just wondering proportionally if there is a point where the cake can be too tall (like should it be half as tall as it is wide, etc so a 12 inch square should not be taller than 6 inches)? i'm loving all the responses though, its always nice to see what everyone else is doing with their cakes!

I have actually found that some cakes have been designed with one of the layers much taller then the others. For instance if the top tier and bottom tier are 4-5 inches, I noticed one design used a 6-7-inch for the middle tier.
Here is a cake I made for a friend of mine. The middle layer is actually 3 10 inch layers instead of the traditional 2. It was copied from a photo the bride gave me, except she wanted her wedding cake blue.
I liked the design the original caker went with and by adding that 3rd layer, you can actually add more servings if need be.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1736448
(I had adding my own photo's to the discussion board, but it was the only example I could find)

Maria925 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:01pm
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

Maria, what is your trick for not having to trim them down? I baked some devil's food cake this week and the tops looked like Mount Vesuvius! (just kidding) I did have to trip them and I hate wasting all that cake!

Right when my cakes come out of the oven, I press them down gently with a clean dish towel. I read that tip on here once and ever since I started doing it, I haven't had to level my cakes! The key is to do it right out of the oven when the cake is still hot and just be gentle and even!

SparkleKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SparkleKat Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:27pm
post #20 of 32
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

Right when my cakes come out of the oven, I press them down gently with a clean dish towel. I read that tip on here once and ever since I started doing it, I haven't had to level my cakes! The key is to do it right out of the oven when the cake is still hot and just be gentle and even!

I thought I was the only cheater who smooshed her cakes! I also use the baking strips made by w*lton.

PaulasPastries Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:34pm
post #21 of 32

i've heard that about wilton cake measurements also. I just fill the cake pans a little more than halfway - i've never measured by cups. They aren't exactly 2 inches high but close enough!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:41pm
post #22 of 32

Here in the UK, a 3" cake is a GOOD height. There are a lot that aren't as deep as that, even!!!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:58pm
post #23 of 32

Mine are usually 5 inches tall. 2 cakes with filling in the middle. I use 3" pans for all my cake sizes when baking. When adding batter, I fill the pan about half full - no precise measurements - just to where it looks right! Cake nail in each pan - usually 2-3, sometimes 4 cake nails if the pan is larger icon_smile.gif

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:13pm
post #24 of 32

I also press my cakes right out of the oven it works so well to get them level but I never have scraps icon_sad.gif I also use bake strips and flower nails with any pan larger than 7".

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:27pm
post #25 of 32

They vary so much. I love my 3" pans, doubled, and filled, a cake can run about 7 1/2" each tier. The stargazer cake in my pics is an example, so is 60's cake.

Maria925 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:33pm
post #26 of 32

For those that use 3" pans do you increase your recipe to fill 2 3" pans? I am going to be buying new round pans in the future and was trying to decide which would be better. Or if you use the same recipe amount, do you just use ONE 3" pan? I'm clueless and confused icon_smile.gif

tesso Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:53pm
post #27 of 32
Quote:

For those that use 3" pans do you increase your recipe to fill 2 3" pans? I am going to be buying new round pans in the future and was trying to decide which would be better. Or if you use the same recipe amount, do you just use ONE 3" pan? I'm clueless and confused icon_smile.gif

For me the best way to know how much batter to make is by measuring in cups. One DH white cake box makes aprox. 5 cups of batter. If you make it an extended recipe like WASC it would make say 6 cups.

So If I am using a pan that calls for 15 cups of batter, I know to make three batches of WASC.

Different batters make different amounts. for example DH chocolate make 4 1/2 cups. I have a scratch recipe that makes 7 cups. It all comes down to trial and error. Make your recipe, measure it, make a note on an index card, this recipe makes this much batter, and stick it to the fridge. icon_biggrin.gif

edited to add: Try using a cake board to do the push down method on your cakes. Make sure the board is the same size as the cake. It works great. Alot of us on here use the push down method to level our cakes. icon_lol.gif

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:02pm
post #28 of 32

For those of you who use the 3" pans, do you cut them in half - each layer- and torte? Or do you just have two layers 3" high and have only one layer of filling?

tesso Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:07pm
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbcake

For those of you who use the 3" pans, do you cut them in half - each layer- and torte? Or do you just have two layers 3" high and have only one layer of filling?

It depends on what the person wants. I like to tort them two -three times each layer, then fill with yummy fillings. But then I have some people who just want three inches of cake, a filling between them and another three inches of cake. icon_lol.gif The 60's cake was done that way, she just wanted cake, no tort, no fillings, just a layer of buttercream.

tokazodo Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:22am
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

Here in the UK, a 3" cake is a GOOD height. There are a lot that aren't as deep as that, even!!!

Haven't you heard? We here in the U.S.A. tend to over do everything! icon_wink.gif
If you think our cakes are big,
You should see the size of our hamburgers, our rear-ends, our waistlines. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%