? For The Ganache Experts On Cc

Decorating By Kandykin Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 6:49pm by Kandykin

Kandykin Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 9

Last weekend I made a carved cake with ganache under fondant and it held beautifully. I know some of you swore by it and now I can see why thumbs_up.gif
Most of my cakes so far have been light colored fondant, so I have not tried ganache under fondant till my last cake.
I would love to ganache all my cakes but being new to this, I have a bunch of questions like:

1.when you use ganache under lighter colored fondant, do you use white chocolate?
2.what kind of white chocolate tastes the best?
3.Can white candy melts or white almond bark be used instead?

TIA icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Toptier Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 9

Yes you can use dark chocolate ganache under light colored fondant, no problem, you just have to work clean. Use the best chocolate you can afford, the real stuff with cocoa butter. Yes, technically you can use chocolate melts in ganache but it's nowhere as good as the real stuff. I know it gets expensive. What I do is do a crumb coat of half imbc mixed with half ganache, then use straight ganache for the final (1/8") or so coat. This saves $$ but still gives you great taste and a great result. Hope this helps.

kkbritt8 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:17am
post #3 of 9

So glad to see this topic! I have several orders for white chocolate cake with white chocolate mousse filling within the next month, one (very large one) I'm doing for free as a gift to my friend's daughter.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any "hook-ups" where you can find white chocolate for a good price? I'd like to avoid using the candy melts for taste's sake, but I use 8 oz (2 bars) for my cake alone at $4.99 each, plus more for the ganache. I will be doing my first attempt at ganache under fondant for these cakes and am very excited about it, just not the costs.

Also, generally how much will a batch of ganache cover? It doesn't seem like it will produce very much so I'm expecting to have to make quite a few batches.

Thank for any input you have!

Karen421 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:43am
post #4 of 9

I use Nestles white chocolate morsels. They taste good and work better than the white melts.

Kandykin Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you Toptier and Karen, I'm definitely going to ganache again thumbs_up.gif Toptier, so you just put a crumb coat and ganache? I actually iced my cake and ganached over it. I was trying it with Hershey's choc chips and not being a fan of the taste, wanted to make sure there was enough butter cream to cover up the flavor.

Karen, how thin do you make your white chocolate ganache?

Karen421 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:04am
post #6 of 9

The white chocolate is a little different than the semi-sweet, milk chocolate, or bittersweet and I really don't measure anymore. But it is more of a 3:1 ratio = 3 cups white chocolate to 1 cup heavy whipping cream. Then I treat it the same as regular chocolate, I let it set up over night on my counter with a paper towel over it and then whip it when I am ready to frost the cake. (I just like the consistency of it when it is whipped)

Karen421 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:38am
post #7 of 9

I forgot - I usually put in about 1 Tablespoon of butter also!

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:59am
post #8 of 9

I'm glad this came up, I had the same question!! icon_biggrin.gif

Kandykin Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you! Looking forward to try it.....off to find me some white choc chips. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%