Need An Awesome Vanilla Scratch Cake

Baking By pmarks0 Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 4:06pm by LisaPeps

pmarks0 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have one? I do use mixes for many of my cakes, but I prefer baking from scratch when I can, or at least for certain people. icon_smile.gif I'm looking got a vanilla cake that is relatively firm, that will hold up to fondant, or carving if need be.

Thanks.
Pam

5 replies
drakegore Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 6

Roland Winbeckler's French Vanilla Cake is awesome tasting and will meet your other requirements. The recipe is on tlc.com under "ultimate cake-off" recipes.

Diane

pmarks0 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:58am
post #3 of 6

Thanks! That looks like a terrific recipe.

pmarks0 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 6

I have to say I tried this and I wasn't happy with the outcome. I found it heavy and stodgy. I don't know if it was the method or the fact that there was both pudding and sour cream in it. I'm still on the hunt. icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 6

I like this one so well I use it for my regular vanilla, however, I can't say how well it will do under carving. As for the fondant, I've never encountered issues with any cake not holding up well to fondant.

www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lemon-Layer-Cake-233013

I do the flour substitution: omit the xantham gum and use cake flour or AP for the flour. And, of course, I omit the lemon zest and use my regular ingredients.[/url]

LisaPeps Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 6

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16363/easy-vanilla-sponge-cake

It's so yummy icon_smile.gif

US measurements are

2 sticks butter
1 and 1/3 cups sugar
3 and 1/3 cups AP flour
3 tsps baking powder
1/2 cup greek yogurt

Read the comments for more info.

Best to carve when it's frozen. Take the cake out the freezer left it defrost slightly for 10-15 mins then carve.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%