Isomalt And Molds

Sugar Work By anxietyattack Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 2:52am by BlakesCakes

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 10

Do I have to use a silicone mold for Isomalt or can I pick up a little cheap thing from the hobby store? I saw a mold for pottery making the other day that I thought would be awesome.

TIA!!!

9 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 10

I use one of those cheap plastic molds from the hobby store to make isomalt diamonds. It is recommended for isomalt though. Be careful because that sugar will heat really high and could melt the plastic.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 10

The plastic molds you must use for isomalt and hot sugar are the plastic molds designed to be used for hard candy. They're sold at cake deco stores and are WHITE, not clear.

You cannot use clear candy molds or other plastic molds.

Rae

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 10

Yes I would use a silicone mold for isomalt.

I'm not sure what you are refering to, but if it is a plastic mold for pottery, then chances are that it is not heat resistant and will melt on you. There are some plastic molds that are made for sugar stuff (I have some jewel molds for CK) but I don't think I would pick up any plastic mold and just try it out.

You have to remember you heat/cool isomalt to 300 plus degrees, that's only 25 degress less than alot of us use to bake our cakes at.

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:22am
post #5 of 10

true. thanks guys. I didn't think about the heat factor. I'm glad I asked before I tried it out lol!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:26am
post #6 of 10

You have to be careful with some silicon molds. The gem molds from First Impressions, for example, aren't so great for sugar, honestly.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:35am
post #7 of 10

I just bought silicone gem molds from first impressions, I was gonna use them for isomalt, will they melt? Please tell me "No".

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:36am
post #8 of 10

No, the silicone molds won't melt.

One problem with silicone, however, is that you get minute bubbles on the surface of the isomalt items. No one knows why and no one knows how to stop it. You need to torch the items to remove the tiny bubbles. You don't get those bubbles with the hard candy white plastic molds.

Rae

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 10

Actually, Rae, Dominic explained it in the MYOM section, because I asked him why my Isomalt was doing that. He said a thin layer of mineral oil will get rid of it. But I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

BlakesCakes Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:52am
post #10 of 10

I just had 2 demos w/Dominic at ICES.

In both, he commented that although a bit of oil in the silicone can help, the oil itself leaves the items a bit cloudy. He really did say that the only way to get clear, bubble-less gems was to torch them.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%