Is The Wilton Decorator Icing Really That Gross?

Decorating By Yellow5 Updated 19 Apr 2019 , 10:49pm by johnson6ofus

Yellow5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yellow5 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 16

Hi all -

I'm new to CC and new to cake decorating as well. In fact, I've never really "decorated" a cake before, other than just frosting it and tossing on some sprinkles. I'm signed up for the first Wilton class at the local Joann's and I've heard that the Wilton icing in the tub that you buy for class is gross...and the recipe that they give you is also gross.

How bad is it? I'm not too picky but DH is very picky when it comes to sweets. He LOVES his sweets and is thrilled I'm taking the class, but he even says that the frosting for decorating is nasty.

Is there anything I can do to make it taste better? I want to get the basics down so I can learn and I know that frosting consistancy is vital, so I don't want to go around messing up the recipe. But I want to be able to enjoy the cake too & not throw it out. Since it's just the two of us, we won't be able to eat the three cakes I'll have to make during the duration of the class, so I'll be sending some to work with him. I also don't want to make a fool out of myself, sending him with a cake with gross frosting.

I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but I am REALLY excited to begin the classes (starts next Thurs!) and I hope to pick up a new hobby!

15 replies
sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 16

I think the wilton decorating icing is really good - it's the wilton fondant that's nasty. Have fun in your class!!

mjandros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjandros Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 16

IMHO - It's thick and sweet and doesn't really have any "flavor" if that makes any sense. I took the Wilton recipe that they give you and modified it to my liking. I use 1/2 the amount of shortening and substitute the other 1/2 with salted butter. I also use half and half in place of the milk. Instead of 1 tsp. of vanilla, I use 1/2 tsp. vanilla and 1/2 tsp. - 3/4 tsp. butter flavoring. I whip the heck out of it with my KA mixer and add 1 tsp. of water to keep the consistency smooth, but not thinned out. Adding a little extra salt will cut the sweetness, too.

This is what works for me and my family and friends LOVE it. thumbs_up.gif

Good luck and don't be afraid to get creative with your own icing recipe!!! icon_smile.gif

vwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vwolf Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 16

The wilton decorating icing isn't terrible and is good to learn with. After you finish your class look thru the recipes on here, there are some wonderful buttercream icings. Have fun in your class.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 16

You are just going to use the icing in a tub the first night of class. This is so you can make some stars and decorate cookies. I don't think it tastes bad, I just have problems with it getting softer and softer the more you stir/use it and that it likes to stick to itself so you can't get flat stars.

I use a modified version of the Wilton icing on all my cakes (I do use both vanilla and butter flavors.) I, nor those that eat my cakes, have ever called the icing gross.

I think instead of listening to other people you should try them with an open mind. You may find neither to be as bad as you expect or have heard.

As a WMI, I would insist that you use the icing we make in class. We do this for a reason as the all crisco holds up to the in class use alot better than butter does. Plus if you have issue with the icing, consistancy and such, your instructor will be more likely to help you with it. I always tell my students to feel free to play with the icing at home or try other recipes (and can use them on their icing of their cakes) but I do ask that they do only use the Wilton recipe for the in class room stuff.

Once you get the techinques down and know what the different consistancies look like, then you can play around with the recipe or other recipes out there.

billie1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
billie1971 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 16

i also use the wilton recipe for all my cakes...i add a little more vanilla and everyone loves it and raves over it..i was very surprised and have just stuck with it!!!! i have tried it with salt to cut down on the sweetness..either way it is good. i have never bought it already made... good luck with your classes. they are so much fun!

agemyers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agemyers Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 16

I'm not fan of butter cream icing or frosting its too sweet for me, but my kids tell me its OK and defiantly better then store. I like whipped icing but I can' get stiff enough to make any flowers

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 16

try using almond, vanilla and butter flavor all together. they really complement each other.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 16

Yes it is & if you don't whip it up really good it seperates and looks/smells gross. I'd never buy it again, I'd rather spend the money on real ingredients and make it from scratch.

leaisagary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leaisagary Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 16

I dont really like it and I also dont like the way my home made icing tastes either if you have a sams near by they sell the yummiest frosting ever!!

agemyers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agemyers Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:02pm
post #11 of 16

I never liked store icing, thats how I got into baking, making my own. I agree with bakencake its not too bad, if you mix them together

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:38pm
post #12 of 16

TexasSugar- I tell my students the same thing! Please use the all shortening icing for class work, when they don't listen (and sometimes they don't) we spend too much time trying to adjust for the bad icing. I also tell them that if they want to make two batches- one for icing the cake and one for learning the techniques- that is fine.
For home use I use the Wilton recipe- but I (for lack of a better term) bastardize it with salted butter and extra flavorings or coffee creamers.

I tell them-- once you get your consistency right- the rest is a piece of cake! Never fails to get a chuckle- and lots of groans! lol

Yellow5- I hope you have as much fun taking your class as I have teaching it.

mclar133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclar133 Posted 18 Apr 2019 , 11:46am
post #13 of 16

I have used the Wilton many times when in a pinch/hurry and never had any complaints. Got compliments sometimes too. I bought 2 tubs today as I am piping succulents for 120 cupcakes. I opened the new tub with the yellow label scraped it into my bowl  mixed in with my last batch of homemade buttercream and gave it a taste. Gross, awful, disgusting. I added butter flavoring, vanilla, sugar mixed it up, tried it again, still bad. I piped my succulents anyways as it is my first time doing them. They did not pipe as well as I thought they should. I was resorting to placing my bag in ice or refrigerating after every 4th plant.  This morning I woke up  with the bad taste still in my mouth and checked to see if maybe there was a recall on the icing. Nope, it's a new formula imposed by new FDA regulations. Wilton has many bad reviews on it and answers that they cannot go back to the old formula. I am scrapping all my work from yesterday. The smell and taste reminds me of paint. Ughhh

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Apr 2019 , 1:03pm
post #14 of 16

It’s been many years since I’ve used it   One can make icing that is simple and good tasting   I suggest you find the recipe on this site “2 of everything “    Yes since the ban of trans fats much has changed but one can still make a good tasting icing with that recipe:) 

mclar133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclar133 Posted 18 Apr 2019 , 10:05pm
post #15 of 16

I was relating my story at the cakeshop I get my sweetex from and found out they sell frosting made there at the store. So after a taste test I bought a bucket. I have 320 little plants to make and running out of time. Lol I

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 19 Apr 2019 , 10:49pm
post #16 of 16

Quote by @TexasSugar on 25 Aug 2010 , 1:11pm

I think instead of listening to other people you should try them with an open mind. You may find neither to be as bad as you expect or have heard.

As a WMI, I would insist that you use the icing we make in class. We do this for a reason as the all crisco holds up to the in class use alot better than butter does. Plus if you have issue with the icing, consistancy and such, your instructor will be more likely to help you with it. I always tell my students to feel free to play with the icing at home or try other recipes (and can use them on their icing of their cakes) but I do ask that they do only use the Wilton recipe for the in class room stuff.

Once you get the techinques down and know what the different consistancies look like, then you can play around with the recipe or other recipes out there.

As a former Wilton instructor...ditto! You start with learning DECORATING, not really focusing on the taste. Butter, while it tastes better, melts faster in your hands and affects your decorating practice. Once you learn, you can adjust the fats, extracts, etc. 

Learning and practice requires some waste. I told my students to consider it playdoh.  You can scrape it back off, put it back in the pastry bag, and try again. You don't need to make/ bake cakes either. I told my students they could decorate the cake pan. Photograph, scrape off and try again. 

Most students want to make a cake, take it home and enjoy it. If you just want to practice the process, that works too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%