Gum Paste, Marzipan, Fondant?? Oh My!

Decorating By Bella214 Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 11:08pm by tmac670

Bella214 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a Caillou cake for a birthday in October. I'd like to make a little swing set and a slide, as well as a small figure of Caillou and one of my son (the birthday boy) playing together on the cake (which will be a playground).

Which should I use? I know Marzipan tends to be harder and sweeter. Fondant always makes the cutest little decorations but I don't know anything about gum paste. Which would be the better choice both economically and style wise? Would fond stand the way i'd like it to for a swing set? Anyone here have any suggestions for a sing set make out of something else?

Also, can anyone give me some clear instructions for getting Caillou to have clothes on lol? I'm not sure how everyone make everthing so realistic with fondant or anything else for that matter

Thanks for all the help!

2 replies
shalini1 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 3

Hi there - I make a few figures and I normally use modelling paste. I find fondant to be too soft (and it won't retain its shape) and modelling paste is essentially just 50/50 (fondant/gumpaste). It will give you the best of both worlds. It'll be nice and pliable, but still harden

tmac670 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 3

I agree 50/50 is the way to go. Maybe you can construct the swing set out of dowels and then cover in fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%