Difference Between Devil's Food, Milk Choc., Choc. Fudge Mix

Decorating By Marla84 Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 2:42pm by sweettreat101

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 12

I need to make a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream this weekend and will be using a mix. I do not really eat chocolate cake myself, so I don't know the difference between all of the varieties - devil's food, milk chocolate, chocolate fudge, triple chocolate, etc. I usually prefer Pillsbury for yellow/white varieties, and have not had great experiences with Duncan Hines. (I have never used Betty Crocker.) Any recommendations?? I know I do not want dark chocolate, and would prefer to just use a straight mix rather than a doctored recipe. Thank you!

11 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 12

If you don't want dark chocolate, then stay away from devil's food or fudge type recipes.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 12

I doctor Betty Crocker mixes all the time. Standard pudding mix-in (mix + sm instant pudding, 3/4c milk, 3/4c oil, 4 eggs) The result is a nicely moist but sturdy cake for decorating.

The range of chocolate flavors is based on how intense you want the chocolate flavor. Milk chocolate is the mildest, chocolate fudge or devil's food are much darker. The Triple Chocolate from BC has chocolate chips mixed into a choco fudge mix.

Is the cake for chocolate lovers? Go with the devil's food or choco fudge.
Is it for a kids' party where it needs to appeal to a wide range of tastes? Try the milk chocolate.

HTH
Kristy

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 12

I'm not a big Duncan Hines fan either. I like the Pillsbury devil's food or their regular chocolate. I usually make a doctored recipe but the plane mix is good too.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 12

I love the BC's Triple Chocolate! I found it is a great chocolate cake that I don't even feel the need to doctor up. It tends to be the flavor I am most asked for.

Marla84 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks everyone... this helps a lot!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:44am
post #7 of 12

In my experience, I've found milk chocolate to be the lightest chocolate, with Devil's Food having a bit more chocolate and CHocolate FUdge to be the "ultimate" chocolate.

I prefer the Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge bcause it's firmer. The milk chocolate and devils food flavored cakes are too "bouncy" for me. And I like my cakes to be firm and solid, not light and bouncy .... especially when I'm flipping a 14" one!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:14am
post #8 of 12

I love DH Devil's Food! Add a small pkg. of instant chocolate pudding, 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup oil, and 4 eggs (Darn Good Chocolate Cake). It is my BEST selling cake and my go to chocolate cake recipe. icon_smile.gif

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:00am
post #9 of 12

Like the original poster, I don't have alot of knowledge on chocolate cakes. If I were doing a german chocolate cake, which chocolate flavor mix would be the closest to flavor and color if doctored? Is the flavor strong enough to use as my regular chocolate cake recipe or does german chocolate have a mild taste?

They don't sell german chocolate or milk chocolate mix in the supermarkets near me; I could try a couple more markets outside my area.

Marla84 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:28am
post #10 of 12

yummy - you may want to look at the Pillsbury and Betty Crocker websites if you haven't already. Both have product locators so you can see if there are any stores nearby that carry a specific flavor.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you Marla84; I've done that for other flavors and I'll check it out again sometime today. This thread just happened to come along when I was wondering the same things; the op was right on time with this.

Does anyone have an answer to my above ?'s about german chocolate flavors?

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:42pm
post #12 of 12

I use Betty Crocker Chocolate fudge cake mix. The triple chocolate has chocolate chips added which I don't really like especially if I will be carving the cake. I don't like Pillsbury cakes at all but will use Duncan Hines in a pinch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%