Ganache For Carrot Cake?

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 12:03am by Maria925

Maria925 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 11

I'm making a carrot cake and need frosting advice. I'm going to be covering the cake in fondant (my first time doing this). It's for my family who does not like fondant really (and they've tried the fondant decor on my previous cakes). But I'm making a black electric guitar out of the cake, so fondant is really my only option.

I suspect they are all just going to pull the fondant off, so I want to make sure the frosting underneath is plentiful & tasty. Because I can't refrigerate the cake (too large), I can't use the cream cheese frosting I would normally use. I have no idea what type of frosting would be good with carrot cake, does not need refrigeration AND holds up well under fondant.

I was thinking maybe white chocolate ganache or would regular vanilla BC taste better? Any suggestions??? TIA icon_biggrin.gif

a

10 replies
TrixieTreats Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 11

I vote for the ganache!

divinecc Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 11

I think white chocolate ganache would be good as well but I have also seen a stable cream cheese buttercream recipe on here somewhere. I will find the link and post it for you icon_smile.gif

divinecc Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 11

Here it is, this is Kathy's recipe she has a lot of recipes on her site. www.sugaredblog.blogspot.com

Kathy Finholt's Crusting Cream Cheese Icing:

1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
6 oz. cream cheese
3 lbs powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Kathy says:

Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes.
This makes a fairly stiff icing if you use 3-1/2 lb. Powdered sugar. For a softer one you can use 3 lbs. of powdered sugar. Can stay out of fridge for several days. Freezes well.

Maria925 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 11

Oh divinecc thank you so much for the recipe! I wasn't aware of a cream cheese frosting that didn't need to be refrigerated! I'm making a test cake this weekend and will have to try this recipe out!!

divinecc Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 11

Your welcome icon_smile.gif

metria Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 11

ganache holds up fondant pretty well. if it's your first time doing fondant, ganache might be easier. when i first started covering cakes in fondant, i had to try and try again. that meant removing the fondant from the cake, scraping off buttercream or throwing away the fondant that couldn't get clean. ganache will be more forgiving in this respect.

put on as much ganache as you like, smooth it out, then pop it in the fridge. the ganache will firm up. when you're ready to cover it with fondant, you can brush on a little bit of water with a pastry brush so the fondant can stick.

best of luck! sounds like a yummy adventure!

divinecc Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria925

Oh divinecc thank you so much for the recipe! I wasn't aware of a cream cheese frosting that didn't need to be refrigerated! I'm making a test cake this weekend and will have to try this recipe out!!

Let me know how it turns out, I have never made this before but have heard really good things about it. I always wondered if it would taste cream cheesy enough icon_lol.gif Thanks!

Maria925 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:15pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

Let me know how it turns out, I have never made this before but have heard really good things about it. I always wondered if it would taste cream cheesy enough icon_lol.gif Thanks!

Well I just made a batch of it! The only thing is that I found the same recipe here on CC and it is actually 16 oz of cream cheese. I think you just may have accidentally left off the 1 when you typed...LOL! But just in case any one else reads this thread...just a heads up icon_smile.gif

It is very yummy! I haven't tried frosting with it yet, so I can speak to how it crusts or anything, but taste wise it is definitely good. It is sweeter than the regular cream cheese frosting I would use because of the extra sugar. But I guess that's why it can handle staying out of the fridge. But it definitely still has the flavor of cream cheese!

I'm very happy you led me to this recipe because I don't like to refrigerate cakes anymore and I've been shying away from cream cheese. Now I'm happy I have a cream cheese frosting I can use! icon_biggrin.gif

divinecc Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 11

Oh geez, sorry butterfingers! icon_redface.gif I hope you found that out before you made it! I am glad to hear you liked it though, I think I am going to try it soon too except with 16 oz not 6 oz! DUH!

Maria925 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 12:03am
post #11 of 11

I caught it before I made it. Whenever I try a new recipe, I always compare it to other recipes to see differences, so once you posted that one, I decided to see if there were any others and VIOLA icon_smile.gif I'm a little obsessive like that LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%