How Do I Get My Eggless Cupcakes To Rise And Stay?

Baking By u4cake Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 1:15pm by jones5cm

u4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
u4cake Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 3

I am working on a gluten free, eggless cupcake recipe. I am fine with the gluten free and found a pretty darn good recipe (using one from Cake Central and includes a box mix with Rice flour and Xanthan in it already). However, I tried the egg substitute (applesauce, oil and baking powder). My cupcakes were phenomenal in taste, but before they were taken out of the oven, the centers caved slightly (and I mean slightly), but nonetheless, they caved. I am uncertain what caused that. Can anyone help me understand what needs to happen? (again, I added baking powder in the egg substitute).

2 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 3

My suggestion would be to research some vegan recipes. I understand that they use vinegar for leavening.

Also if you look at your local book store or Amazon, I believe there are cookbooks that have these kind of recipes out there -gluten free and egg free. I wish I could remember the name, but it escapes me.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 3

I found a great eggless recipe right here on CC for a strawberry cake. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15677/eggless-strawberry-cake, Although I didn't bake cupcakes; it turned out perfectly in a sheet cake pan (not caving at all; as a matter of fact, I had to trim a slight dome b/c that how I got to taste it!). But this recipe is not gluten free (it uses cake flour) - your rice flour should work in it though. I made it for a young boy who is allergic to eggs and his mother told me afterwards that she'd love to have my recipe...that's always the best compliment!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%