Working With Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By ajoverman Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 7:52pm by 2SchnauzerLady

ajoverman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajoverman Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 6

icon_smile.gif Does anyone know if you can cover a cake with modeling chocolate like you do with fondant? I think it would taste much better. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 6

Yes, you can. The only thing I've found is that the modeling chocolate isn't as stretchy as the fondant I use. I like to use Satin Ice Chocolate flavored fondant for that reason. I get the chocolate taste (it tastes like a Tootsie Roll) but I get the stretch of fondant. Good luck!

ajoverman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajoverman Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much. What is satin ice? Is it more expensive?

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 6

Satin Ice is a premade fondant sold by Satin Fine Foods. I've found the best prices at Global Sugar Art. The cost of modeling chocolate depends on the quality of chocolate that you use, so it's hard to say whether the Satin Ice would be cheaper for you or not.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 6

Since MC doesn't stretch like fondant it is not easy to cover a cake with one piece like you would with fondant. Instead you can cover in pieces (i.e. first the top, then the sides) and smooth the seams with water and rubbing with your finger. Works well and once smooth it looks like one piece.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 6

I have tried mixing modeling chocolate and fondant, but that doesn't stretch well, either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%