What Does Torteing And Speckling Mean?

Decorating By Byron Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 11:33pm by tmac670

Byron Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 8

I keep reading posts with these expressions in, I have no Idea what they are. Would love to know.

7 replies
Rylan Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 8

Torting is slicing the cake horizontally so you can add fillings/icing. Spackling I believe is to fill in gaps, holes, imperfections with cake crumbs (mixed with icing), or icing to give it it a nice smooth base.

Jean0561 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 8

If you go to "General" in the forum, there is a post on acronyms.

thatslifeca Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 8

Rylan all ready explained what torting is. Spackeling is believe it or not done on fondant cakes just like spackeling your wall to give it a textured effect. For example.....you take RI (kind of on the medium consistance side) and a crumbled up piece of paper towel and dab it in your RI and then dab your cake to give it a spakling effect. It is a great technique to hide imperfections, but I wouldn't without discussing it with your customer first.

03FLSTF Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 8

As with many terms, spackling has multiple meanings. Others have noted above that it can refer to a texturing technique on fondant, or is a method of providing stability and structure to a cake. Toba Garrett provides details of this technique in her book, The Well-Decorated Cake. She gives instructions for combining a mixture of cake crumbs, icing and filling to form a thick paste. The paste is then spread over a crumb coated cake to fill in any gaps, build up areas where pieces may be missing, and to provide more strength and stability. After allowing the paste to firm up (Toba recommends refrigerating for a bit), apply a thing coat of buttercream then cover with fondant. It works like a charm and aids in producing beautiful, sturdy cakes.

Source: Toba Garrett. The Well-Decorated Cake. New York: Sterling Publishing Co., Inc., 2004.

thatslifeca Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 8

Wow, I didn't know that. I'll have to pick up that book. thanks.

DeeDelightful Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

Wow, I didn't know that. I'll have to pick up that book. thanks.

Its a great book. A co-worker checked it out the library and let me borrow it when i first expressed an interest in cake decorating. It really opened my eyes to a whole new world of cake decorating (before TV shows became so popular). It's the hardest cake decorating book to find at my local libraries. I just need to purchase it and read it again.

tmac670 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 8

I just got that book about a month ago. I am trying to buy one new book every other month to build up a library. I could not put it down!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%