Cake Decorating Classes

Business By mrscunningham Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 4:46pm by kakeladi

mrscunningham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscunningham Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:49am
post #1 of 6

I live in Nevada, where home bakeries are illegal, however, I was wondering if anyone knows the legalities of teaching cake decorating to kids.

5 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:13am
post #2 of 6

I would think there should be no problem with teaching children how to decorate cakes, cupcakes or cookies as long as you did not make them yourself. I know that Wilton does not allow you to teach their curriculum as it is from the books though. Now if you made up your own basic steps then there should be no problem as you would not be teaching from a student book.
evelyn

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:17am
post #3 of 6

If you're dealing with kids in your house (or anyone else's house) in any sort of commercial enterprise I would make sure you are covered with either business liability insurance or a rider on your homeowner's policy.

You would probably also need a licensed commercial kitchen unless you plan on buying the cakes/cupcakes from someone else -- but I'm not sure where you would be able to find undecorated cakes for sale.

asaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asaye Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 6:17am
post #4 of 6

I think Sam's Club sells undecorated cakes.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:27am
post #5 of 6

They may have to bring their own cakes and icing just like Wilton. I doubt you could make the supplies because a kid is going to eat it. But a call to the local health department will clear up what you can do.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 6

Years ago when I tried this I ran into Zoning laws. You are more likely to have that kind of a problem.
Then, in my town no one could teach any kind of class in a home *except piano lessons*. (The mayor's wife taught.)
Their 'concern' was too much traffic in a neighborhood. No, one could not have 1/2 dozen people come to one's home so they could learn a skill.
My reply: "but it's alright for anyone (me) to have a weekly bible study or party yes?" Oh, yes, that's ok but NO you cannot teach classes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%