Need Help With Colors (Basketball Orange)

Decorating By G_Cakes Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 3:03am by hollyberry91

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:09am
post #1 of 7

Hello fellow Cakers...

Looking for help in mixing and getting the right color fondant for a basketball cake I am doing.

Does anyone have a link to a color chart or know what colors to mix to get that perfect shade of basketball orange?

Thanks in advance

6 replies
bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:32am
post #2 of 7

I colored some fondant with copper, and used to much....and thats what it looked like to me. In my pics, there is a Bible cake, thats it, although pics dont shpw true color, you can still get an idea. Kinda terra cotta looking. You could always add a bit of orange to it, but not much...the color is real close already.
HTH~

G_Cakes Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:08am
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much Bmoser...I do have some copper so that might work

Going to go try it on a small piece of fondant and see what I can come up with....just wasn't sure where to start LOL

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 7

I used Wilton Copper for my basketball cookies - turned out good. The color looks way too light on the cap of the color but add enough and it turns darker. I actually textured my colored fondant by pressing that nubby non-slip shelf liner into the fondant when it was soft and it made the fondant look a little more like the real texture of a basketball.

Wilton supposedly makes a terracotta color (which one of their yearbooks recommends for a basketball) but I never could find it except to order it directly from Wilton - but the copper is widely available.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 7

Americolor has a terracotta color that is perfect.

G_Cakes Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:44am
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for the responses tonight will be fondant night...just me, a bottle of copper and about 3lbs of fondant!

Wish me luck ladies icon_wink.gif

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:03am
post #7 of 7

I did a basketball cake and used wilton orange and a tiny bit of wilton brown and it came out perfect!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%