Help! Supports Too Long.

Decorating By SweetsbyLadawn Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 4:15am by bmoser24

SweetsbyLadawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbyLadawn Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:56am
post #1 of 3

I use straws under my teirs... no mater how I measure to cut them they are too long or too short. Can you help? I will be doing a wedding cake with fondant and dont want the cake to be elevated...I need it of course to bee flush.

2 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:09am
post #2 of 3

Once your tier is level, try putting in one of your straws/dowels--mark where to cut, pull it out and mark all of the others to the exact length as the first one.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:15am
post #3 of 3

no matter how careful i am my cake tops are not usually completly flat/level. Pretty close but not perfect. For this reason, I always insist on some sort of deco on the border, if nothing else, I have peace of mind. I dont like gaps, but i want my cake level ever all.
so...when i am cutting a dowl or pillar i measure 1 from the high side and cut the other 3 to that one. The cake will be sounder in structure and in the end , it WILL look level. BTW, I personally dont care for straws...unless only 2 tiers.
I was looking at Chelsea Clinton's wedding cake and saw gaps! They where almost impossible to hide because of the type of boarder they chose.
I flat out refuse when someone tells me "I want a fondant cake with no bead or ribbon border.I let them know...i'm good, but not perfect...LOL
Best wishes, please post!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%