Help! Supports Too Long.

Decorating By SweetsbyLadawn Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 4:15am by bmoser24

SweetsbyLadawn Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:56am
post #1 of 3

I use straws under my teirs... no mater how I measure to cut them they are too long or too short. Can you help? I will be doing a wedding cake with fondant and dont want the cake to be elevated...I need it of course to bee flush.

2 replies
CWR41 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:09am
post #2 of 3

Once your tier is level, try putting in one of your straws/dowels--mark where to cut, pull it out and mark all of the others to the exact length as the first one.

bmoser24 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:15am
post #3 of 3

no matter how careful i am my cake tops are not usually completly flat/level. Pretty close but not perfect. For this reason, I always insist on some sort of deco on the border, if nothing else, I have peace of mind. I dont like gaps, but i want my cake level ever all.
so...when i am cutting a dowl or pillar i measure 1 from the high side and cut the other 3 to that one. The cake will be sounder in structure and in the end , it WILL look level. BTW, I personally dont care for straws...unless only 2 tiers.
I was looking at Chelsea Clinton's wedding cake and saw gaps! They where almost impossible to hide because of the type of boarder they chose.
I flat out refuse when someone tells me "I want a fondant cake with no bead or ribbon border.I let them know...i'm good, but not perfect...LOL
Best wishes, please post!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%