Cake Support Do I Need It?

Decorating By traiaberg Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 1:07am by traiaberg

traiaberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traiaberg Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:09am
post #1 of 4

I am pretty new to event cake making. I will be making a 3D beach ball using Wiltons Sports Ball and a 9x13 cake that will look like a pool. I have seen a few on this site but no one addressed should I support the ball cake some how or can it rest directly on top of the 9x13 single layer cake. I was told by one person that I should put small dowel supports in larger cake then take the ball cake and put in on a smaller cake board which will rest on the dowels in the cake low enough of course not to be seen once it is all frosted. They said the weight of the ball cake will sink into the cake underneath? The bottom cake is a basic chocolate cake and the ball a more dense yellow cake.This cake will not be transported from where I will be making it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

3 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:22am
post #2 of 4

Yes--you will need a support under the ball cake. Basic rule is for every 4in of height, you need a cake board & support.

You can cut a cake circle slightly smaller than the base of the ball cake so that it is easier to hide. Place dowels or large diameter straws (like the ones for boba drinks) into the lower cake where the ball will sit. Make sure the supports are cut even with the height of the lower cake. Put the ball on its cardboard circle onto the supports.

HTH
Kristy

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:27am
post #3 of 4

I would try to do some kind of support under the ball. Even if you just put it on a small cake circle and use two or three dowels or I would use straws they are easier and it does not seem like you need a ton of support just a little something to insure it does not sink into the cake. You know an ounce of prevention and all that jazz. Just a thought.

traiaberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traiaberg Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:07am
post #4 of 4

Well its settled I will be making a support for the ball cake using a smaller cake board and some straw supports for it level to the base cake!!! I would rather be safe than sorry is right!!! Thanks for the help to both of you for your answer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%