How Do I Make A Chocolate Coffee Flavored Cake?

Baking By Darthburn Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 5:45am by cathyscakes

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:37am
post #1 of 6

Hi all, I'm back again and baking a bit this week. I was wondering if anyone has ever made a cake that maybe uses coffee in the place of water? I'm looking to make a cake with a chocolately with a hint of cofee flavored.

Any ideas would be great. I have seen about adding instant coffee to a mix, but I was hoping to add a special blend of cofee that doesnt come in instant.

Thank you all for the help

5 replies
grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:54am
post #2 of 6

I substitute the water in my chocolate cake recipes with an equal amount of brewed coffee.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:13am
post #3 of 6

I doctor cake mix w/pudding and then I sub strong coffee for the water AND add 2tbls of espresso powder. I've done it with all chocolate (mix & pudding) or with white cake mix, choco pudding & then the coffee. The white mix version gives you more of a mocha flavor. I also add mini choco chips.

Kristy

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:23am
post #4 of 6

IMO, just replacing the water with coffee just enhances the chocolate flavoring. If you want a true mocha, I would do as the PP does and add some instant coffee or espresso powder to it too.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:31am
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much everyone for the help. It's funny, I did replace the water with coffee and then tasted the batter a bit... was still chocolate with a hit of coffee... then I added 2 spoons of instant just to bold it out. Worked great. Was it the original flavor of the coffee blend, heck no.. but it's cake, who's going to notice or care?

I'm going to try the mocha and also the white/ choco pudding/mocha next time... that sounds like just the ticket!

But again, thank you ALL for the tips! Much appreciated!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:45am
post #6 of 6

The best chocolate cake I ever made used brewed coffee with chocolate melted in it and added to the batter, it really enhances the flavor

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%