Make A Box Lid For A Present Cake?

Decorating By Kimmers971 Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 1:44am by grandmaruth

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 12:40am
post #1 of 4

I'm making a fondant covered gift box cake and want to know how you get the nice clean straight lines of the lid? Do you form it over something and let it dry slightly before placing it on the cake? Thanks!

3 replies
Alery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alery Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 12:59am
post #2 of 4

I made mine out of a single layer of cake on top of a cake board, then covered in fondant, which is what most of the directions I found said to do.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:06am
post #3 of 4

Use the pan that you baked the cake in as a template. Add tylose to your fondant. Roll out your fondant and cut out your top using your pan. Make sure you have lots of corn starch on it! Then also cut out your sides. Cut extra out! Then in 24hrs take a board and flip over your pieces. I like to make sure mine have dried on both sides atleast 24 hrs. Then you take and glue on your lid with some melted chocolate. THen take one of your sides and glue that in place. Hold until its secure. Then do the other three sides. Use the same color chocolate as the lid and use it to get rid of your seams. Then when your done just scrape up any extra drips and give it a little bit of crisco to get the shine back in the fondant.
If you want to see it done by a pro I suggest you get the dvd from Sharon Zambito aka Sugarshack. Her boxes and bows dvd is well worth the money! www.sugaredproductions.com

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:44am
post #4 of 4

I agree with weirkd....i so much like the looks of lids like that than the one layer covered in fondant...they sit more life like and realistic...i have formed mine over a box but the idea of the pan used is a great idea!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%