Question On Brush Embroidery

Decorating By amyoungbl00d5 Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 3:00am by sweetcakes

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 9

I am new..I have never tried the brush embroidery technique. I have watched a few tutorials. The cake I have coming up is butter cream ...so can I use this technique on buttercream and is there anything I need to know or special brushes I need to do this on the cake? I would appreciate any help! thanks

8 replies
ponderiffic Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 9

I have never done this technique on buttercream so I am not sure how that will work. I think any small soft brush would work. I covered the cake in fondant and used royal icing for the brushed embroidery. The trick was to not let the royal icing dry while you are working. I pressed a flower cookie cutter into the cake and traced with the royal icing. However, I had better looking brushed embroidery when I just did one petal and then brushed instead of the whole flower. This is a fun technique! I hope you have a great time with it!

deMuralist Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 9

I have only ever done it with bc on bc. gentle touch, it comes out great. You could try it on a practice board.

kansaslaura Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 9

I've done it on buttercream. Thin the buttercream with corn syrup that you want to use as the 'paint' It's works wonderfully!

thatslifeca Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 9

You can do brush embroidery on BC. Cover and smooth your BC on your cake just like any other time. Let it crush real well. Then use BC to do the brush embroidery work. I have never used anything to stencil it on thu. I just do the pic I'm going to brush embrioder free hand. You use the same idea on BC, just like you would do it with RI on fondant or marizapan. Just use BC on BC.

sweetcakes Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 9

doing it in bc on a bc iced cake will work just fine. keep the brush damp, not wet, the bristles need to be firm but not stiff or limp.

tmac670 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 9

For best results, use a crusting bc.

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:39am
post #8 of 9

Wow Thanks glad I asked I was going to use RI on the butter cream. I am going to do a practice board 1st so i can get the hang of it. And I am already looking for a stencil I like. icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcakes Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:00am
post #9 of 9

you can also use cookie cutters, free hand or a stencil to get your design in the icing. In my pictures there are some fall leaves on a chocolate buttercream iced cake that i just used cookie cutter on. Have fun, it is a great technique and very effective.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%