How Do U Increase Recipe?

Baking By kristen81 Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 1:53pm by LindaF144a

kristen81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristen81 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 3

I'm trying to make the Sarah's Red Vevelt Cake - tweaked for 10" pans. How do I figure out the measurments for the ingredents? I'm not good at math and just keep staring at the recipe. For that matter I would like to know how to increase or decrease any given recipe.
Thanks

2 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:47am
post #2 of 3

You are going to have to do the math and it will be hard if you are not good at math or don't have digital scales. The easiest thing to do is to double the recipe and make cupcakes or a little cake to freeze. If you want to do the math, you must find "pi r squared" for both 9 and 10 inch cakes and find the percent of change, then add that percentage to each ingredient. That means % of an egg too. If you really want yo do it that way, let me know and I will help you. This formula is assuming the two cakes are the same height. The reason this is more complicated is because that extra inch has more voulme than the inch before, etc, etc. If you don't measure exactly, the formula will not work.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 3

Or - you can try seeing if your local library has The Cake Bible. She has a chart. But I believe she requires the use of math also.

I can't believe how much ratio formula, algebra and using the excel spreadsheet I have done since I started baking from scratch. yep math is needed if you go into the area where you need more or less than the recipe calls for.

The other thing you can do is make the batter, bake up the extra and put in the freezer. It does negate the need for math after all. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%