Why Is There Butter In Cream Cheese Icing?

Decorating By Dolledupcakes Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 1:42am by katnmouse

Dolledupcakes Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 13

I was asked this question by a family member yesterday and I found it very annoying. This family member wants me to make a cream cheese icing without butter or butter flavor. She says its not cream cheese icing if it has butter in it.

Your thoughts please...

Thank you!

12 replies
j_arney Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 13

Does she realize that chocolate cake has flour in it, and not just chocolate? I think her logic is a little off.

DeeDelightful Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 13

Unless she has an allergy, she wants it made right, with butter....LOL

Dolledupcakes Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 13

I agree. I am now looking for the history of cream cheese icing online to show her. If anyone knows where I can find the history of CC, please send me a link.
Thank you!!!

cakesbymindysue Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 13

Tell her to find you a recipe that doesn't have butter in it and you will make it, but until then you will be making it how you have always been! Then if it doesn't taste good it's on her, she gave you the recipe.

TrixieTreats Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 13

You can use shortening....

Dolledupcakes Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 13

I have used butter flavored shortening, she hates butter flavor.

dchockeyguy Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 12:45am
post #8 of 13
Originally Posted by Dolledupcakes

I have used butter flavored shortening, she hates butter flavor.

I don't know of anyone who actually LIKES butter flavored shortening. Though I'm sure there's someone out there who does.

If you don't add butter, you won't get the right consistency. Have you ever tried to get perfectly smooth cream cheese on a bagel!?

Dolledupcakes Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:04am
post #9 of 13

Oh i should have mentioned, she has NEVER had my cream cheese icing.
who knows, she may not like it.

auzzi Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:30am
post #10 of 13

Cream cheese Icing
8 oz Cream cheese
1 ½ c powdered sugar
1 ts lemon zest
1 tb Lemon Juice

Cream cheese Icing
4 oz cream cheese
1 ts vanilla
3 tb sugar
2 tb whipping cream

TrixieTreats Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:39am
post #11 of 13

I never use butter flavored shortening, but all of my frosting recipes (except ganache) are made with at least half hi-ratio shortening. This will remove the butter flavor that she does not want. Also, for me, I find that cream cheese frosting is a bit wet, so using shortening with stiffen it up.

newmansmom2004 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:56am
post #12 of 13

I tried making cream cheese icing long long ago with only cream cheese (no other fat) and it was just WAY too thick. Even with a little liquid to thin it down it was still too thick. Try spreading that stuff on a delicate cake! icon_cry.gif

katnmouse Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:42am
post #13 of 13

Cream cheese frosting without butter isn't frosting at all...it's candy! (those soft mints featured at showers of all kinds are often a cream cheese, sugar, flavoring mix) The butter lightens and softens the cream cheese to allow it to be easily spread over cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%