Red Butter Icing

Baking By bakingbaking Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 7:45am by bakingbaking

bakingbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingbaking Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 4

hi,
how can i get a red colored butter icing? if i add red color into buttericing,it turns into pink and shades of pink rather than red.... Please help....

3 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 4

Getting a really true red does take a fair bit of coloring, and some brands color better than others. I color my white buttercream a dark pink first, and then add red. It's easier to get a nice red from a dark pink base than a white base. Color will also darken as it stands, so if I want a dark red/black, I color it the night before if I can. Looks great the next day!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 4

I'll just add that if you can find the Wilton Candy coloring that is oil based you might, and I say might, need less to get a true red. It will mix better with the fat in the frosting.

I know, I see those beautiful colors in frosting all the time and wonder how do they do it. Good luck.

bakingbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingbaking Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:45am
post #4 of 4

dear tracey1970 & LindaF144,
That s a gr8 piece of information.... My son is adamant of having a fire engine cake on his 4th bithday.... I tried to divert his mind to someother object ,only b'z of this color issue... but couldn't work out.... I will definitely be trying these methods ... Thanks a lot.... icon_smile.gif

thanks,
bakingbaking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%